What's new

Questions about the Dish Network 6000 receiver (1 Viewer)

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
I have been reading a little about the Dish Network Model 6000 receiver and find myself getting excited about the prospect of receiving High Definition signals for my HDTV-ready Mitsubishi RPTV.

Question 1: Where is the cheapest source for purchasing the Model 6000 receiver? I have done some cursory searches and have seen them for around $500 on average. If anyone knows of a killer source of receivers, I would be indebted to you.

Question 2: Would I still need to purchase a set top receiver to translate the signals to my television or does the Model 6000 have a built in decoder for HD signals?

Question 3: Would I need to replace my Model 501 receiver with the 6000, or do they work in conjunction with one another?

Thanks in advance for your help. I look forward to your answers.

Michael_B

Auditioning
Q2: No need to purchase anything else. The 6000 has HD
output you would connect directly to the TV.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Q1: Dish Depot usually has very good prices and excellent customer service.

Q2: Michael_B is correct but doesn't give you all of the info. You will need an optional module to decode OTA HD signals. It's called the 8VSB module and runs about $150. After July 1, you will need the 8PSK module to receive Discovery HD. It is free with a years commitment to Discovery HD at $10 month.

Q3: The receivers work independently of each other. You will be charged a $5/month fee for an additional receiver.

-Robert

Bill Gato

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael and Robert for your quick and informative replies. I guess my priority for this week will be to get a hold of the 6000 receiver by July 1 (I already have a technician coming out to install my free second dish this Friday) so that I can save the $150 charge.

Wish me luck on my little project.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Robert_J,
Is there a penalty if I purchase the 6000 after July 1st? Does the 8PSK module cost more over the 8VSB? Will the 8VSB module become obsolete or can I still use it for other HD channels except Discovery HD.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Gil,

If you are confining yourself to only Dish for HDTV content, you only need the Dish 6000 + 8PSK. The cost of the 8PSK module will be US$49.

If you want the ability to receive Over The Air HDTV, you will need the 8VSB module (US$149 or so) + the 8PSK module.

Discovery HD + any new channels will require the 8PSK module. I don't know what the long term plans are for the existing HD channels (HBO, SHOW, CBS).

Regards,

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Thanks John.
Will Dish be discontinuing the 8VSB any time soon? I'd like to also use the off-air tuner for local HDTV stations.
I take it the 6000 can accept both modules from your description.

Gil

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
No Gil, the 8VSB module is used for OTA decoding. The 8PSK module will cover the new modulation scheme to be used for Discovery HD and any other new HD content. It allows for 3 HD channels / transponder instead of two.

There are two expansion slots in the Dish 6000, One slot for the 8VSB module, the other for the 8PSK.

Regards,

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
Where do we get the 8PSK module from? Also is it a worthwhile investment, seeing as right now there is only the discovery HD channel available?

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Huzefa,

Go see a Discovery channel HD demo, and you tell me if it's worth the money.

I've seen it, and I ordered my 8PSK module.

Regards,

Huzefa

Stunt Coordinator
John Kotches, I believe you.

Robert_J, I asked Dish's purchasing department (800-220-3474) and they told me to talk to a dealer, because the only 8PSK modules they have are for people who screw theirs up. Who did you talk to? More importantly, did you call the 800 333 DISH #?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm not a Dish customer. I'm just relaying what I read at the HDTV Hardware section of AVS Forums. You might want to call back and try another CSR.
-Robert

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I've also seen the Discovery Channel HD Demo on Dish and will be ordering the 8PSK module if DISH ever can get their act together and actually offer this product. The last time I called Dish (right after Discovery started the HD Demo) I tried to order one (actually get one free by committing to the $96/yr package). They didn't even know what I was talking about.

And if the unit is supposedly free from Dish why pay for one from a dealer?

Also, another question on the 8PSK. I understand this squeezes more HD info into the space available (3 HD channels/transponder instead of 2) but some others have indicated that some higher resolution is also involved. That doesn't make sense to me but am I missing something here?

What's the story on any of this?

Thanks.

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Robert,
It is possible to decompress the MPEG data, then recompress to occupy a smaller bandwidth than HDTV (I don't recall if that's 19 or 22 mb/sec). I don't know that Dish is doing this.
The following is idle speculation, treat it as such
For argument's sake let's say Dish chopped down the bandwidth to 15mb/sec, then utilizing the 8PSK encoding scheme might allow them to encode at full bit rate for HDTV and get 3 channels / transponder as well
End of idle speculation
Regards,

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
John,

Thanks for the feedback and the "idle speculation." It puts everything into perspective (no pun intended) and, no, I won't treat it as gospel.

In any event, I guess I'll be on the phone with E* on Monday morning hoping that they even know what the 8PSK module is and the subscription package.

Take care.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks