What's new

Questions about speaker A/B switch on the receiver. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
If I am using preouts for an amp does that A/B switch do anything? For example say I buy another set of speakers for music only. Use my yamaha 1400 as a preamp then buy a 2ch amp running off of preouts to run my music speakers. Then if I switch the switch to speaker B will it run my hometheater speakers (5.1) off of the receiver? Does this make any sense?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Jesse,

Just a suspicion, but if you buy a separate amp for 2-channel purposes, both the "A" and "B" speaker connectors on the Yamaha receiver will be disabled.

Now, if we were talking about one of the older Harman/Kardon receivers, you would be able to re-assign the internal amps to power additional speakers.

Dean_S

Second Unit
This can work if you use a Y-plug on the pre-outs and your a/b switch allows 'A' to be off. y-connector = one back into the "main-in" on your recv in place of the jumpers and one to the new amp.

Also, the a/b switch won't control the the pre-amp output, so you will switch off the amp to keep them from playing when you are trying to use the speakers connected to the recv.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks