What's new

Question: Sony STRDE875 (1 Viewer)

Mijang

Agent
I am looking to upgrade my current Sony receiver (Sony STR-DE825) and I am willing to spend between $400 and $600. I am only looking at Sony models, and from what I have seen the Sony STRDE875 just about fits my criteria. The only problem is that this receiver does not support Dolby Pro Logic II. Basically, is there any Sony receiver on the market that meets my criteria, and if not, when do the new models become available?

wally

Second Unit
From what I've seen Sony is not supporting DPL II at this time. You might want to look at the DB series (falls between the DE and ES series) the DB1070 is listed for $799 at Crutchfield. You might also consider the DA3ES (low model in the ES series) that is listed at $999 from Crutchfield, but I have been told that Oade will be selling them for $650. I don't think the specs are final and they still are not shipping. My contact at Oade said September, but I still don't see them.
If your experience mirrors mine, you won't be getting much feedback, kind of anti-Sony around here.
Anyone else??

Mijang

Agent
Actually, I was at the Good Guys today asking about the DB series and the DE 1075 and the salesman said that the 1075 was comprable. Not sure I'll be getting either at this point as it looks as if Sony is not supporting Dolby II for this year's models. Thanks for your reply!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mijang, unless things have changed at Sony, the 'DE' and 'DB' receivers not comparable. The DB models are much better historically. Better build quality inside and out, better performance, and better reliability. I would get the 'DB1070 over the 'DE1075 in a heartbeat. If possible, however, I would get the 'DA3ES. I once owned the 'DB930 (1999-2000 model) and upgraded last fall to the 'V444ES, and there was a significant improvement going to the ES line.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks