What's new

Question Regarding The Commish (1 Viewer)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Recent references to The Commish in the Mill Creek thread have me thinking about this enjoyable 90s series again. I never purchased the complete set because, based on the Amazon reviews, the release suffered from both music edits (no surprise; it's a Cannell series) and the usual Mill Creek compression issues due to too many episodes per disc.

However, I now see that the first 4 seasons were also released a few years ago in Region 4 (from a company called Beyond Home Entertainment), both individually and as a set. I can't find any reviews, though. I know that many times, music that has been removed from a show's Region 1 release is present in on the sets in other regions, but I wouldn't assume that's always the case.

Does anybody have the Region 4 version and can speak to whether or not it's an improvement over the Region 1 version?

For whatever reason, Region 4 doesn't seem to have the final season; but if the picture quality is better and the music is intact, I'd get that 4-season set and then grit my teeth and buy the very inexpensive Mill Creek Region 1 set to get the final episodes.

Sa5150

Second Unit
Real Name
steve
Recent references to The Commish in the Mill Creek thread have me thinking about this enjoyable 90s series again. I never purchased the complete set because, based on the Amazon reviews, the release suffered from both music edits (no surprise; it's a Cannell series) and the usual Mill Creek compression issues due to too many episodes per disc.

However, I now see that the first 4 seasons were also released a few years ago in Region 4 (from a company called Beyond Home Entertainment), both individually and as a set. I can't find any reviews, though. I know that many times, music that has been removed from a show's Region 1 release is present in on the sets in other regions, but I wouldn't assume that's always the case.

Does anybody have the Region 4 version and can speak to whether or not it's an improvement over the Region 1 version?

For whatever reason, Region 4 doesn't seem to have the final season; but if the picture quality is better and the music is intact, I'd get that 4-season set and then grit my teeth and buy the very inexpensive Mill Creek Region 1 set to get the final episodes.

Is it better to buy the anchor bay of the first 2 seasons or the whole complete set from mill creek (selling at crazy prices like Renagade)? How is the quality of the aussie set compared to all ?

chrislong2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
Is it better to buy the anchor bay of the first 2 seasons or the whole complete set from mill creek (selling at crazy prices like Renagade)? How is the quality of the aussie set compared to all ?

I don't know about the R4 set, but I can say that the original anchor bay S1&2 sets do look better than the Mill Creek because Mill Creek took the already bad transfers and then squeezed more of them onto less discs which increased the compression-related artifacts. I compared specifically and found the Mill Creek quality visibly worse. But don't be fooled: they both look bad. It is a shame that the full set it looks like is out of print now - it was down to like $23 or something like that at one point which was basically a steal, so I guess those that didn't get it then are just kind of out-of-luck now unless you want to pay through the roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks