What's new

Question regarding power amp vs. AV receiver for home theater build... (1 Viewer)

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Just to see how it would work, I connected my Oppo BDP-83 directly to my Krell amp for two channel CD listening, and it worked like a charm. Only problem is, I am not a two channel only audio guy. I have a multi-channel, general use setup, in which I play a lot of Blu-ray movies as well as multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio discs. Thus, I use HDMI connections. But, if you just want two channel, you can connect your Oppo directly to a power amp. You could also do multi-channel with a multi-channel amp that way, but it requires a bunch of analog interconnects. The HDMI connection eliminates the need for all those interconnects, and also allows you to use the room correction feature of an AV receiver or processor.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
skhan007 said:
Thanks for the clarification! Yes, I had read a few sources (reviews, other owner's posts, etc.) stating you could run directly into a power amp. I just saw the owner's manual for the 105D, confirming the same.

Here's an oddity: I went to a high-end audio store today, you know, the kind that sells stuff so expensive that it's more than putting 3 kids through college. Any way, I was there to check out Paradigm speakers (which are fabulous!! The new Prestige series sounded incredible). I told the salesman about my Oppo into power amp idea and he said it was flat out wrong. He stated I must either use a preamp component or an integrated AV receiver. He also went on to tell me the Oppo is average and the Marantz Blu-Ray unit had better DACs and was over all better. Well, that's a first. I told him about all my on-line research and direct correspondence with kind folks on the forums and he told me that I shouldn't believe the internet hype or the experiences of people who post on forums. After all, he said, how much experience do they have? I left feeling dejected, which is not a good way to win my business.
I have a Marantz UD7006 and have had a couple of OPPO 83's, 80's and an OPPO 83SE and while the Marantz is a fine player (bought it to match my 7005) I'd take the 83SE, or any of the $1000 OPPO's (maybe even the $499 ones), over the Marantz $1000 7xxx series players on pure performance. Has he even heard of Sabre ESS dacs? 130 db s/n ratio.

"After all, how much experience can they have?"

I bet I've had more BR players in my house then he's had in his. In fact I have 6 around here somewhere right now. 3 Pioneer Elites, 2 Yamaha's and the Marantz. BTW, really impressed with the Yamaha 1020 (circa 2011) universal BR player. Way over-priced at $499 and not the build quality of the Oppo's, but picture and sound are making my little Elite BDP-23 (2009) blush. Who da' thought. Good as new off ebay for $125. What to do, what to do.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I ran into an Elite SC 61 at a pawn shop for $400. Almost bought it, cause I could flip it for the same money. Had the remote(and cord).Might go back. But did score a functional HK PM635 for $15.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
There are alot of choices out there and some good ones at that. Unless you are looking at going all out I would stick with a higher end receiver that give you preouts so if you want to add amplification later you can do so. And you can resign the internal amplifiers to alternate zones! But if you are planning on 4K bluray now or in the near future I would hold off on getting a receiver till HDCP 2.2 is available in more models of receivers. Also DTS will be announcing there version of object based surround sound that will be there answer to Dolby Atmos and should arrive around March 2015. So I would wait even if you are not sure about 4K bluray! Because if you wait you will be able to play Dolby Atmos and DTS-X encoded discs and if you take the 4K plunge you will not have to worry about possible issues with not being able to play something.

skhan007

Auditioning
Real Name
skhan007
Dave Moritz said:
There are alot of choices out there and some good ones at that. Unless you are looking at going all out I would stick with a higher end receiver that give you preouts so if you want to add amplification later you can do so. And you can resign the internal amplifiers to alternate zones! But if you are planning on 4K bluray now or in the near future I would hold off on getting a receiver till HDCP 2.2 is available in more models of receivers. Also DTS will be announcing there version of object based surround sound that will be there answer to Dolby Atmos and should arrive around March 2015. So I would wait even if you are not sure about 4K bluray! Because if you wait you will be able to play Dolby Atmos and DTS-X encoded discs and if you take the 4K plunge you will not have to worry about possible issues with not being able to play something.
Sorry, not sure I'm following. Are you suggesting waiting on a receiver? That would be a good plan. I was actually thinking of getting the Oppo 105-D and running it straight into a 5-channel power amp. No receiver in this scenario. The signal path, as I envision it, would be Oppo 105-D--> Power amp --> Speakers & Subwoofer.

MTrotter said:
Just to see how it would work, I connected my Oppo BDP-83 directly to my Krell amp for two channel CD listening, and it worked like a charm. Only problem is, I am not a two channel only audio guy. I have a multi-channel, general use setup, in which I play a lot of Blu-ray movies as well as multi-channel SACD and DVD-Audio discs. Thus, I use HDMI connections. But, if you just want two channel, you can connect your Oppo directly to a power amp. You could also do multi-channel with a multi-channel amp that way, but it requires a bunch of analog interconnects. The HDMI connection eliminates the need for all those interconnects, and also allows you to use the room correction feature of an AV receiver or processor.
Actually, the Oppo 105-D has the option to use either two channel (which I'm not going to use) or 7.1 analog out (which I will use). I'll be down mixing to 5.1 and each channel has its own dedicated analog line out straight from the DAC, which will do into a 5 channel power amp. I realize it will utilize a bunch of interconnects and that's OK with me. I want to take full advantage of the world-class DAC's in the Oppo. If I use HDMI outs, no DAC's are utilized.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Sorry, not sure I'm following. Are you suggesting waiting on a receiver? That would be a good plan. I was actually thinking of getting the Oppo 105-D and running it straight into a 5-channel power amp. No receiver in this scenario. The signal path, as I envision it, would be Oppo 105-D--> Power amp --> Speakers & Subwoofer.
Yes I would wait on the receiver till later in the year but I would still get one. How are you going to control the volume with the player only? And you will not have the control you would have running the receiver. And the moment you try to add something your in trouble.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Dave Moritz said:
Yes I would wait on the receiver till later in the year but I would still get one. How are you going to control the volume with the player only? And you will not have the control you would have running the receiver. And the moment you try to add something your in trouble.
The Oppo has a volume control buit in. But I agree that, unless it is going to be an audio-only setup, a receiver or a/v processor would be the way to go.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
MTrotter said:
The Oppo has a volume control buit in. But I agree that, unless it is going to be an audio-only setup, a receiver or a/v processor would be the way to go.
Pretty sure(and I only learned of this in December) the Oppo only controls volume in 2 channel.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
schan1269 said:
Pretty sure(and I only learned of this in December) the Oppo only controls volume in 2 channel.
Oh, if that is the case, thanks for that info. I did try my Oppo directly into my two channel amp and the volume worked, but I have not tried it into multi-channels.

skhan007

Auditioning
Real Name
skhan007
Dave Moritz said:

The Oppo has volume controls right on the remote, so after corresponding with current owners, that's how they do it. After reading the Oppo manual, everything I need to control is accessible through the Oppo: Individual volumes for each channel, over all volume, etc. I agree that if I wanted to add anything, I'd be in trouble. The truth is, I can't think of single thing I would need to add. If, in the future, a need to add something surfaces, I could shell out the cash and pick up a preamp. That would likely solve that issue.

skhan007

Auditioning
Real Name
skhan007
schan1269 said:
Wow, did not know this. I better call them to double check before I buy the unit!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks