What's new

Question regarding 16:9 non-RPTV sets. (1 Viewer)

Viktor A Lundberg

Auditioning
I'm very much a newbie at this so please bear with me.
After a little research I think that getting a RPTV like the new Panasonic is a little too big in size for the smallish NYC apartment that I'm going to be living in.
Therefore I'm wondering if there are any direct view televisions that offer a 16:9 ratio and what a good one would be and at what price. The size I'd be looking for is a 38inch one.
Thank you in advance:
Viktor

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
How about the Toshiba TW40H80 or the new TW42H81? They both measure about 18" deep. That's a lot less then any direct view TV. I've got the old TW40X81 in my 16x11 living room and it's great. I'm actually thinking about the new 50" Toshiba coming out. I'd say as long as you have atleast 6 feet between the TV and your viewing area you will be happy.
Ryan
------------------

Viktor A Lundberg

Auditioning
Another thing that I might as well post here is that I'm wondering if the maintenance of these RPTV's are costly?
Are there parts like the projection bulb that needs to be replace every year and is that something you can do yourself? I'm asking that if I get a TV like this I won't have much money left for huge repair costs.
Thank you in advance:
Viktor A Lundberg

Ryan Pream

Stunt Coordinator
There is nothing you have to replace every year. If you loose a CRT gun while not under warranty you are probably better off just buying a new set. RPTV's do have more parts to break then direct views though. If you are really concerned some people recommend(not me) buying an extended warranty for RPTV's. I think they are a waste of money 90% of the time.
Ryan
------------------

Jim Kirkman

Agent
The only direct view 38" I know of is the one from RCA. I bet if you did a search here on RCA you would find a good deal of information. I do know it has a built in HDTV tuner and others here report it has a great picture. From what I've seen it the store, I don't think it's doubler performance is up to the quality of Toshiba or Pioneer Elite. I've seen the RCA available for about $2999 locally.
I would also suggest you look at the 40" Toshiba 40H80 (or the upcoming42" 42H81). It has better performance, IMO, more inputs, and more screen modes for better flexability. Although the Toshibas do not include the HDTV tuner, they are much less expensive, about $1800 - $2000.
RPTVs do require some maintenance that you can easily do yourself for free. There is no "bulb" to change. They use CRTs (3) just like a direct view (1). If you get a copy of Avia or Video Essentials, it is easy to properly set up and maintain a RPTV.
See this link for a ton of info. regarding tweeks and tips for RPTVs.
http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/usefulinfo.html
Hope this helps.
Jim
------------------

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering if the maintenance of these RPTV's are costly?
As said above don't worry about this. These badboys run for years without problems. The most maintenance you will need to consider is cleaning the lenses of dust a couple of times a year (absolutely trivial matter - trust me, five minutes of your time max) and converging the three guns from time to time so they all point to the same spots on the screen (they drift a little over time, but again very easy to do). Instructions for these steps and more are provided in great detail throughout this Forum.
You will be rewarded with a bigger picture with potential for higher resolution and a more filmlike image. Plus it is very shallow, and is so sexy it will melt into any room. This set is a huge favorite of HT geeks, reviewers, and consumers alike. It produces a fabulous picture when properly adjusted. And it will also be cheaper than a comparably sized 16:9 direct view as it is much easier to manufacture.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no mesiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks