What's new

Making a final decision re: RPTV, got a couple Q's... (1 Viewer)

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Heya guys. I usually hang out in the audio forums, so I'm kinda new regarding RPTV's. I want to get a 16:9 and I *think* I have it narrowed down. I want a 65". Mostly used for DVD and XBOX with a little cable TV thrown in. I really really don't want to spend more than $3500, but if it's worth it, I may. I have not gone to any store to check these out yet because the inconsistency in set-up that one finds at most places.
Toshiba 65HX81
Overall, people seem to like this one but I see lots of comments regarding ghosting and other problems. The question is, is that stuff a big enough deal?
Mits WS-65909
Everyone seems to say this one has a poor line doubler, and needs to be totally tweaked out because it's out-of-box performance is not as good as the Tosh and Pioneer. Good news is that there are tons of tweaks and what not at HTS.
Pioneer Elites and Non-Elites
I think the Elite 720 will be too expensive. Though they supposedly look the best out of the box. Also can't be tweaked like the mits can.
Does that sound right? It seems they all have some pros and cons...should I just flip a coin? :)
Any other suggestion are welcome too.
Thanks,
Sean

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
I think those are all sweet sets, the Pioneer Elite is by far the best set you're looking at but will cost more than your budget will allow. How long do you want to keep this set, are you a 10 year guy? If so dig deep and score that Pioneer Elite.

Also you should take a look at the Hitachi 61" Widescreen, I've seen it side-by-side with the Tosh and it is brighter anc clearer IMHO. The build quality on the Hitachi is closer to the Elite, but man that Piano finish on the Pioneer is so sweet and it has the best line doubler by far that I've seen on a RPTV.

Overall, you will probably be happy with your purchase anyway you go...these are all cool sets.

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Check out the non-Elite Pioneers. You just won't have the gloss piano finish!

The line doublers in the Pioneers are better than all the brands you have mentioned, and the stretch modes are by far the best in the industry.

By not getting the Elite, and just going with the regular Pioneer line, you should save about 2 thousand dollars!

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Thanks Dave and Jeff, I appreciate the input. Man, I think I had an easier time buying my last truck than this stupid TV :)
I think I'm going to go with the Tosh. I can get it at a great price and no payments/intrest for 12 months :)
Sean

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
OK, I did it. Just ordered the Tosh. I can't friggin believe how much money I've dropped on HT this year. I didn't even realize I made this much $$ :D
Thanks all
Sean

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Will do Mike. Just a note; I did get the 65H81 over the 65HX81. I didn't feel the improvement over the H model justified the $$. We shall see...

Sean

WilliamB

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a Tosh 56X81 and have been very satisified with it. One thing you'll want to do after getting it home and "running it in" for at least 100 hours is an ISF calibration. Cost a few buckos, yes... but even my wife noticed the difference!!

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
Nice choice... I'm looking at the 57HX81 myself. Let us know how you like the set!
Just wanted to let you know that I'm very happy with the set. Of course, the default settings were awful, but after some VE set-up, she's all good.
65H81 = :emoji_thumbsup:
Sean

Rolfe

Auditioning
Hi Sean,

I am also looking at the Toshiba 65H81. Did you know what the difference between the H and HX series is? Another question, where did you order your HDTV from? The prices that I have found online are hundreds less than my local BestBuy and no tax either!

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I know the "HX" has a non-glare screen (moot if you plan on removing it) plus the following vague improvements:

)New High Contrast PowerFocus™ HCF Lens System on the HX81 (the H81 has only the High Contrast PowerFocus HC lens system). Of course, I have no idea what the extra "F" gives you. Does anyone?

2)New PowerFocus™ HD Plus CRTs on the HX81 (the H81 has only the PowerFocus HD CRT's...no "plus"). Again...anyone know what the "plus" entails?

4)The HX81 has a TheaterBright™ HD Screen with SLD while the H81 only has a TheaterBright Screen (no "HD"). Does anyone know what the HD does?

5)I also noticed that the H81 has a "wide band video amplifier" while the HX81 does not.

I'm currently choosing between the 57H81 and the 57HX81 but I have no idea if these improvements are worth the extra bucks. I'd rather spend that cash on speakers if I can, but if they noticeably improve pic quality I'll go with that.

SkiingNinja

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Ries
This is the reply I got from Toshiba regarding that question:

Dear Valued Customer,

We appreciate your interest in our products. The 65HX81 offers the

following over the 65H81: They have different (more advanced) CRT's, lens,

screen, theatershield, and surround sound. The 65HX81 has tweeters and

comes with a more advanced remote.

Thanks,

Customer Solutions Center

Me thinks if they would have detailed how the "more advanced CRT's" and what not would benefit the end user, they may have gotten me to go that way....so I still have no idea what's better about them...I got the 65H81 and I think it's great....

I got it from onecall.com

Sean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks