What's new

Question on speakers, Powered towers or 7.1? Also speaker placement. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well I am going to save up for the PC Ultra for a while. But for now I need to finish off my speakers. Right now I have a pair of boston VR-950's and a VR-920 Center channel on the way. I am using old sony towers as surrounds now and they dont work too well. Especially for DVD audio. I have a few questions. At work we have left... a pair of Boston Acoustics VR-975's http://bostonacoustics.com/hs_product.asp?ProductID=8

A pair of Boston Acoustics VR-950's
http://bostonacoustics.com/hs_product.asp?ProductID=10

And either one or a pair of VRS in white. I know one store has one of them and another store may have a pair.

So here is my question. Should I go for the VR-975's? I just want to know peoples opinions on powered towers. The speaker terminals are broken off of these so there is no easy way to demo them before I buy em. But I could always take them back if I dont like em. Now I will be getting an SVS to match these so....

Or if got another pair of 950's and either a pair of VRS pros or just one. Now the problem with this is.... the 950's would sit about how they do now in my room. And I would put the single or pair of VRS's right behind me kinda close together on the wall behind the couch. So they would be my surround backs and the 950's would be my side surrounds. So kinda backwards.

The reason I want to do this this way is I may lose all this soon. All these speakers have been sitting at work for close to 3 years discontinued. So I want to grab them before they are gone. Then in the future when I get a dedicated home theater room I can set them up properly. Plus the 975's would hold me over till I can get my Ultra.

Well anyways. Sorry for the long post. I hope you guys can help me decide. I cant wait to get my center channel. That thing is going to rock. Oh BTW the reason that my center channel is off center is because of an entertainment center. I will post a pic. Plus the X on the couch is my listening position and the 250 SQ is just the main area to the right. I also have vaulted ceilings that go up and to the left. Thanks again.

http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL242/...6/48871124.jpg

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
One thing I just realized and you may notice this in the last picture and the drawing I included. Is my computer desk and my entertainment center sandwich my left speaker. This is proably going to be a problem with the 975's or any speaker for that fact. Should I convince my wife to let me move the computer desk somewhere else?

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

They look like nice speakers, If it were me I would probably get some boston bookshelf speakers and hang them for surrounds and get a sub for low end to get you through. If you got the Part express sub for $124 it would dramatically change your home theater experience. Is it an SVS? no, but it is a quality sub that could tide you over until you can get the ultra.

Greg

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well Im to the point that I dont want to wait. I think when I get money for my b-day Im just gonna get what I can afford at the time. Im sick of waiting. :D

But I did decide against the Bostons. I brought them out of the floor today to listen to. They are really messed up. I think a driver is blown, and the LFE input doesnt work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.