What's new

Question on Panasonic plasma (1 Viewer)

Tim L

Second Unit
hey everyone, i was thinking off taking the plunge to get an HDTV plasma-I was looking at a panny TH50DPM5OU that I saw at Costco. I wasa thinking of buying there because of their generous return policy-that way I feel much more comfortable buying a $3200 set.
My question is that the set has only one HDMI input- so i am assuming that the HDTV comcast box will take up that input. but what do I do about the future say an HD dvd player with HDMI input?-or the present with an upconversion DVD player. Is is okay to use the component for any present or future dvd connections directly to set. I will be using a B&K Ref50 and 200.7 amp to watch movies (no HDMI inputs). looking for suggestions or opions on this purchase, thanks
Tim

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I think you're pretty safe. The cable box will give you an HD picture with either HDMI or component (at this time anyway) and external boxes are made should you need more of that type of connection. Blu-ray/HDDVD will require a digital connection but that's a ways away. Hopefully, by the time you need multiple connections, HDMI will have worked out some of it's issues.

Mort

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Here's how I think about it: I don't care nearly as much about video quality of broadcast TV as I do from DVD. So I'd use that HDMI input for the DVD player. But obviously, you'd need a player with an HDMI (or DVI) output.

But ... Is that Panasonic HD or ED?

There are also HDMI switch boxes available out there too if you ever want to use HDMI from more than 1 box.

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
There are lots of ways to do what you want to do. I have a 37" HD Panasonic Plasma in the bedroom and here's the switch that I purchased. It handles up to 4 HDMI inputs (one at a time) and is switchable by remote control with discrete codes so that you can incorporate it into remote control macros if you desire. You can also just push a button on the front of the unit to switch through the various inputs.

Tim L

Second Unit
thats good to know- because I will be watching a good amount of available HD programming from comcast.-so its safe to assume that alot of people are depending on these switch boxes- I wish they would put in just one more input-save some aggravation.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The new models have 2 HDMI inputs (60, 600 series). :) Not out yet though (March maybe). And it might be a while before Costco gets their version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks