What's new

Question on my Dayton 12" DVC.............. (1 Viewer)

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Why are there two sets of terminals on my sub? I know this is a dumb question, but I really don't know. I'm sure it has something to do with the term "DVC, dual voice coil".

Thanks for any help.

Steve

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
One set of terminals for each voice coil. Most folks just use speaker wire to make a jumper between the terminals.

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
But how do I wire it? I know this is a stupid question, but is there a wiring diagrahm I can look at? Thanks.

Steve

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Positve from the amp to one positve tab, THAT neg tab to the other pos, then THAT neg tab back to the amp gives you a 4-ohm load.

I think...no, that's right.

Search for parallel and series, you'll find it.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
ColinM,
You just described the series wiring. That is a 16 ohm load. Parallel wiring is wiring both positives together and both negatives together. Then connect the amp to either set of terminals.

-Robert

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
I thought an 8 ohm load was the safest and best for your amp. Amp will be a Yamaha M-60 rated at (I think) 170 watts into 8 ohms. Thought a 4 ohm load makes the amp run too hot.

Steve

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
The two preferred methods for wiring the Dayton DVC12" are the parallel method mentioned above. Or having two amp channels, splitting the LFE output to both amp channels and having each channel connected to one of the voice coils. This will present an 8ohm load to each amp channel.

With a single amp channel your choices are to 4ohm (parallel), 16ohm (series), or running only one voice coil to get you 8ohms.

The seperate sources and parallel are vastly preferred. The others will work, but won't allow the driver to reach its' full potential.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Steve,
I asked a similar question in this thread. It was about the Adire Tempest, but both are DVC so it shouldn't make any difference.
Anyway, Dan Wiggins of Adire responded:
So that's what I'd suggest.
JKS

SteveSpoon

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the good help. Just waiting for my amp to show up now.
Hope Kyle doesn't come knocking on my door and say: "Uhhh, sorry but I have to take the DVC back......we don't sell our high quality stuff to knuckleheads".
;)
Just hang with me, I'll get this thing going yet (with of course, your continued support!!).
Steve
Thanks again.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
Heck, I'm a knucklehead too so I'd better not own any of my product either if that was the case :)
Sorry, I assumed you were using a plate amp that could support a 4 ohm load....if not then do what others have suggested above.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks