Any advice on building Parts Express Cabinet??

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by SteveSpoon, Jan 15, 2005.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

Hello:

Finally getting around to putting my Parts Express Titanic 3.0 cubit foot subwoofer enclosure together. Also have a Parts Express 250 watt plate amp and a Parts Express Dayton 12"DVC I'm going to put in it.

Anyway, what's the best way to put the cabinet together? I mean, sounds like a stupid question, but the kit doesn't come with any instructions and there are quite a few pieces to the whole thing.

Where does one start? Thanks for any help.

Steve

2. SteveSpoon

Oh yeah.....the kit is model #300-729, which I believe is now discontinued. I've been sitting on this stuff for 2 years now!! [​IMG]

Can hardly believe I've been "happy" listening to my Jensen 12" sub for this long.

Hope I can tell if there's a difference when I get my Parts Express stuff up and running. [​IMG]

Steve

3. SteveSpoon

Ok, after taking a couple minutes and messing around with the parts, I guess it's not so hard after all to figure out where "all the parts" go!! I was confused by the 4 pieces of mdf which didn't seem to have a home. Actually, I don't think they do since I believe they were part of the packaging!!

Anyway, I've put the sub enclosure together without glue or small nails, just to see how things fit up.....fit is really nice on the enclosure!! Quite impressed.

I am, however, having reservations about cutting a hole for the plate amp. I just hate to mess up this nice cabinet!! What should I do......cut the hole or make another enclosure for the plate amp, or, go get another amp and put the plate amp on ebay??

Also, what do I "stuff" the interior of the enclosure with? Should I get some "stuffing", or simply line the interior of the enclosure with that "eggshell" stuff?

Thanks for any help and guidance.

Steve

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Get some MDF to practice once or twice making an amp cutout. This may give you the confidence before defacing the real panels.

The stuffing question depends on if this is sealed or ported. Adding fiber material to a sealed sub changes (increases) the effective internal volume which may be undesireable. Ask at the PE support board about this.

Parts Express Forum