What's new

Question on HK: AVR 510 (1 Viewer)

Denis K

Agent
I am trying to finalize a decision on a new receiver and have heard/read lots of good things about HKs. I would definitely consider the AVR 510, however it has neither DTS-ES Discrete nor DPL II. Since many other models at this price point now include one or both of these, I'm wondering if the 510 might be up for replacement soon. It was just reviewed in S&V in June, but then the Denon 3801 (now replaced by 3802) was just reviewed in May. Any of you folks who follow HK know if the 510 a newer or older model?
Thanks,
Denis

MarkO

Second Unit
The 510 is one of the newest models out right now by Harman Kardon. If you are like me, and fell off the upgrade at every new format wagon a long time ago, the 510 is still a viable unit.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
If you must have all the new features, it may not make you entirely happy. I had the Harmon Kardon (HK) 510 for about a month; the Denon 3801 a month before that; and the Outlaw 1050 before that; but I ended up with the HK 7000.
I enjoy the 7000. Even though it is not as feature rich -- and even though it sometimes does not handle poor source material (e.g., VHS tapes) very well -- I am pleased to know that it was last year's (!) flagship. And Logic 7 is great; I listen to it exclusively when I am not watching DVDs. Originally listing for $1,700, the HK 7000 is now available for under $920 total, shipped from authorized online dealers.
(Note that you should be wary of 7000s built on or before November 2000. I've read that there is some kind of bug in these receivers. Later pieces do not have as many problems.)
Frankly, if you want to spend under $1,000, I recommend that you audition the 1050. For under $540 shipped, you can have a very well built receiver backed by some very fine people. (HK is similarly backed by good people. I have received tech support within a business day.)

Shade Watson

Stunt Coordinator
You can usually get good prices for refurbished HK 510s over at www.ubid.com
I don't have DTS-ES Matrix or Discrete, nor have I heard them. It does seem to me however, that ES-Discrete couldn't be that much different than ES-Matrix. I think that only the rear center is processed differently. From my understanding the side channels will play the same signal in ES-Discrete and ES-Matrix. Again, I've never heard either.
Dolby Pro Logic 2 sounds interesting. I've never heard it either. I do watch a lot of movies on cable that are broadcast in two channel stereo. I would really like to try out DPL2 when watching those. The HK 510 does have a limited version of Logic 7.
Sometimes you have to weigh quality vs. features. I think with Logic 7 and ES-Matrix you are very close to "up to date" with the features.
I think that the HK AVR 510 is a great product for the money, especially the refurbished ones.

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
Denis,
When I bought the 510 I was concerned that it didn't have PLII. Logic7 put that fear to rest -- it does a great job with older DD2.0 soundtracks, and the unit itself is very musical. I don't really have room for a 6.1/7.1 setup, so newer formats aren't an issue for me. One thing I can say is that I no longer wish for better amplification, and that's saying a lot! I think you'll enjoy the unit.
regards,
chris

JohnnyG

Screenwriter
Just a tip that the AVR520 will probably make it's appearance by the end of September. I have no idea what the feature list holds in store for us, but DPLII is almost a certainty (although Logic7 is a very viable alternative anyway).
------------------
John Golitsis
Next Big Thing Electronics

Denis K

Agent
John,
Can you tell me where you got the news on an AVR-520 model and how you know it will be in September?
Also, anyone had a chance to do a side-by-side of the 510 with a roughly comparable Marantz (6000/6200, 7000/7200, 8000)? I know which one sounds "better" is highly subjective, but I'd be curious how you would describe the overall sonic differences between HK and Marantz.
Thanks again to all,
Denis

DavidAM

Second Unit
"John,
Can you tell me where you got the news on an AVR-520 model and how you know it will be in September?
Also, anyone had a chance to do a side-by-side of the 510 with a roughly comparable Marantz (6000/6200, 7000/7200, 8000)? I know which one sounds "better" is highly subjective, but I'd be curious how you would describe the overall sonic differences between HK and Marantz."
I'm gonna bump this up because I was searching the backposts on the 510 (and the upcoming 520) and am curious how they compare to the Marantz 5200 which I was all set on getting. Anyone have a clue when the 520 will be out? Can anyone give a subjective opinion on the pros and cons of each?

DavidAM

Second Unit
I picked up that the 510 will now be the 520.....is that what you meant? What I want to know is when will the 520's be available, what is different on the 520 (I know it will have PLII...anything else different?) and do you think the 520 is worth the price considering the deals to be had on the outgoing 510? It seems like the Logic7 is a pretty good alternative for the PLII. PLII is something I really want, but if Logic7 on the 510 works just as good, then maybe I should save the money and get the outgoing 510? Can anyone comment on how good Logic7 works? Harman's site is down now, so if anyone knows the differences between the 510 and 520, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks