What's new

Question on Emergency the complete series (1 Viewer)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I was thinking about getting the complete emergency series but have read that the picture isn't as good as the episodes on Netflix before they took it off. The price of the set seems to be similar to the Rockford files DVD set right before Mill Creek announced it was releasing it on Blu ray. I was wondering if anyone had this set and could comment on the picture quality and or if anyone has heard anything about a future Blu ray release.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I was thinking about getting the complete emergency series but have read that the picture isn't as good as the episodes on Netflix before they took it off. The price of the set seems to be similar to the Rockford files DVD set right before Mill Creek announced it was releasing it on Blu ray. I was wondering if anyone had this set and could comment on the picture quality and or if anyone has heard anything about a future Blu ray release.

I have this set.

Other than the first two seasons being re-done as single-sided discs with some minor cosmetic reauthoring (ie. changing "side1B" to disc2, "side 2A" to disc3, etc ...), it appears to be the old dvd season sets bundled together. The same lousy picture quality as the individual dvd sets released around a decade ago, except maybe season 6.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
IIRC, there was a video vault fire at Universal back in 2008 which allegedly destroyed some of the old transfers of Emergency! and other various shows.

Season 6 was released in 2010, after that fire.

Last edited:

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Yes, the show was being released on DVD from old ratty transfers that dated to the early 80s (except for Season 1 and some Season 2 episodes that were remastered for VHS release in the early 90s. The giveaway is that if the original opening is there its a better 90s remastering but if it's the S6 opening, then they're the old ratty transfers). After the fire, the entire series was remastered but only S6 and the post-series movies were released on DVD from those new remasterings (since they were the only seasons that had not yet been released at the time of the fire). It's ridiculous that we haven't seen the entire series re-released with the new transfers for all six seasons.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
If reports of the hd quality streaming versions of all the Emergency episodes are reliable, and if the old Emergency transfers were actually destroyed in that 2008 fire, then most likely Universal made new hd transfers for Emergency after that fire.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If reports of the hd quality streaming versions of all the Emergency episodes are reliable, and if the old Emergency transfers were actually destroyed in that 2008 fire, then most likely Universal made new hd transfers for Emergency after that fire.

Pretty much.

If Mill Creek were to ever be allowed to do a Blu set, you'd likely get the new HD transfers for all seasons and it would be a huge jump in quality from the DVDs. But until then...

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks