What's new

Question on connecting analog and digital from DVD? (1 Viewer)

Is there any problem with connecting my DVD player

to my receiver using BOTH analog and digital connections?

DVD (Analog L/R) ---- (analog cables) ---> CD In on receiver

DVD (Digital Coax) ----- (coax cable) ---> Digital In on receiver

J

John Morris

Sal: Nope, that hookup looks just fine and is one that I used for awhile with my old Pioneer DV-05 DVD player.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
There shouldn't be. I do the exact same thing with my Sony DVD player, which has enough outputs to choke a horse. In addition to what you've listed, I also connect another set of analog outputs directly to the TV, in case I want to watch a disc without firing up my receiver.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I don't think so, as I have done this as well, but only so I can switch the receiver to do an A/B comparison. I can't think of an advantge to using analog when you have digital.

This wouldn't be the case with SACD, however. In this case you do want both, as SACDs go out only through the analog jacks, whereas CDs that play on the same player can take advantage of the digital jack. (No digital output from SACDs for copy-protection reasons. This may change someday once copy-protection standards are in place, and then the connection is likely to be IEEE 1394.)

Isn't any CD Audio downsampled to 48KHz if it comes through the digital input on the receiver? (that's where I got this whole idea from)

Brian Crowe

Stunt Coordinator
I know the digital has a 48Khz limit on my Panasonic, but I'm unable to tell the difference between the two when listening to 24/96 material.

~Crowe~

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks