What's new

Question for H/K x20 series owners... (1 Viewer)

Bruce-Li

Auditioning
Simple question (I hope):

How does your usage of Logic7 compare to Dolby ProLogicII? I'm most interested in which one you choose when watching TV, VHS tapes, etc?

How do you compare the two on an everyday usage basis?

Thanks!

Bruce

Phil M

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce, welcome to the Forum!

I specifically upgraded just to get DPL2 and ended up with a HK 320 as a pre-amp and a Rotel 1075 amp(after returning a Marantz 8200 & Denon 2802).

I have on numerous occasions (with music) directly compared L7 to DPL2, and to me, L7 wins each time. I also prefer the Logic 7 "cinema" setting to the "music" setting for music.

I haven't done as much comparision with TV/Sat sources, even though I guess it would be easy to do with my Replay unit, but I still find that I like the L7 cinema setting.

I'm pretty much using it exclusively except when I want to listen to 2 channel audio.

Phil

peter_anderson

Stunt Coordinator
I upgraded to the AVR 320 for DD/DTS and DPL II. After three VHS movies, I decided I preferred Logic 7 cinema for movies and Logic 7 enhanced for classical music (when I listened to Vivaldi's Spring from the Four Seasons, wow!!!)

The only difference I could really pin down as consistent between DPL II movie mode and Logic 7 cinema was a bit more information being sent to the L/R mains in Logic 7.

Bruce-Li

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies! My motivation for asking was that I got a 310 on closeout a few months ago (right before the 320s came out) and was wondering what I sacrificed in DPLII. I'm sure it would be nice to have, but it sounds like Logic7 is an acceptable substitute.

Anyone else have a different take?

Bruce

Larry Chanin

Stunt Coordinator
Bruce:

I am in the market for a new 7.1 surround processor, and I frequently read with interest these sorts comparisons between Dolby Pro Logic II and Lexicon's Logic 7.

However, what many of these forum exchanges fail to focus on is the "7" in Logic 7. Perhaps you don't plan to implement the surround back channels in your set-up, but the most obvious difference in the two surround process is of course that DPL II creates only simulated 5.1 from two channel sources and Logic 7 creates 7.1 channels from two channel sources.

As a side note, I believe the Lexicon preamp/processors have a more complete version of Logic 7 which can create 7.1 channels from 2 and 5.1 sources, while the Harman Kardon receivers can only work with two channel sources.

So from my perpective as someone interested in 7.1 surround you haven't sacrificed anything.

I have read a review by Stacey Spears (an A/V Reviewer with Secrets of Home Theater & High Fidelity) which compared Dolby Pro Logic II with a 5.1 implementation of Logic 7. In these circumstances Stacey seemed to slightly prefer DPL II to Logic 7. However, to me the review was so close that I certainly wouldn't give up 7.1 processing capabilities.

Larry

Bruce-Li

Auditioning
Larry:

You are absolutely right, my interest was solely 5.1, not 7.1, and the review you cite was what essentially convinced me to go ahead and get the 310. It is just reassuring to hear from people interacting with the technology on a day-to-day basis, that they prefer Logic7 to DPLII (at least as implemented on H/K receivers).

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks