What's new

Question about what car to rent for a romantic weekend. (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I am going to do something that I will never forget and dont get the chance to do very often. I am going to rent a cool car and take my wife up to estes park for the weekend. The thing is I dont know which car to rent. A Corvette Z06 will run me about $300 a day, a porsch 911 cabriolet will run me about $350 and a viper RT 10 will run me about $400 a day. Do you guys think the extra money is worth it?

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
What kind of car does she like?Thats the one that will be worth it the most,regardless of cost.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
-- One of the most famous pieces of advertising copy ever written and it was written about the Jordan Playboy- a convertible roadster from the 20s.

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
One with a big back seat? :)

On a more serious note, if the romance element is good then the car is inconsequential. That said, I generally agree with Jason's comments about convertibles. Given the three cars you mention I'd choose a Ferrari ;). Or, an old classic, preferably of the convertible variety. Maybe a classic T-Bird? A '55 Corvette? Perhaps a classic car that recalls a classic romance movie?

Will your trip to Estes Park include a stay at the always romantic Stanley Inn(?) where The Shining was filmed?

And now I must sign off before my wife reads your post, slaps me in the back of the head, and says,"Why don't you ever do anything like that for ME?" Have a great time.

-Steve

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Vettes are indeed nice but not as exclusive to see on the road. A convertible Viper would be badass, saw one on the road with big fat rear tires and couldn't take my eyes off it. You'll get a lot of stares in it whether you like it or not. Plus how many times in your life will you be able to get behind the wheel of a V10?

$400 a day. Hmmm does that include insurance? (prolly not)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
LOL. Well I think Im gonna go for it and get the viper. I think it is a convertable. Plus a nice stay at one of the best cottages up in estes park. This will be awsome.

Plus I know she would get more of a trill out of a viper than just a vette. My parents own a 95 vette so we can drive that whenever... I know its not a Z06 but Im still gonna go for it.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Rent a Ferrari if you aren't concerned about actually
"getting" to the destination because chances are, you
won't make it.. :)

Ferrari: The Expensive Fiat! :)

I wouldn't rent the Vette or the Viper or a Ferrari or
anything of that sort for a "romantic" venture. If I was
interested in a leisure cruise with a woman I wanted to
wine and dine I would be more inclined to rent a convertible
Jaguar or Aston Martin or hell just rent a Bentley Limo
with a driver that way you can concentrate on more important
things :D

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
The Porsche will be the smoothest/easiest drive, in my experience. I've never driven a Viper, but they're supposed to be quite a bit of car to handle. And with a the Porsche being a rag top to boot, I say it's a no brainer. :)

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I'd go with the Porsche too, mainly for the same reasons Bill mentioned. I think a Viper might be exciting to drive, but not really ideal for a fun, relaxing, leisurly drive. Do you really want to put up with a big, loud, droning engine on a romantic weekend? Vipers aren't really known for being comfortable.

I'd probably go for something more along the lines of luxo-sport car. Such as Jag XKR convertible, or as Brett mentiond an Aston Martin. Astons are awesome cars, they are stylish, powerful, full of luxury and very exclusive.

AjayM

Screenwriter
Romance and sports cars really don't mix very well. They are uncomfortable to cruise in, they are loud, and most importantly they are a pain to get in and out of (especially if your lady friend is wearing a dress/skirt). However if your lady friend is a car nut, then go for it. Otherwise go for something that drips in class, a high end Benz, an XK Jag, Aston Martin, or as somebody else mentioned a nice limo and let the driving to somebody else.

Andrew

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Go for the Porsche - given it's a cabrio, it'll be the easiest to hanlde of those that are convertible.

Now, if you can get the Z06 as a convertible... that would work too.

Viper's a pain in the neck to handle for romance. Fun, but not that kind of fun...

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
No such thing as a Z06 Convertible. All Z06's are FRC's
(Fixed Roof Coupe).

I still say an Aston Martin Vantage or Jaguar or a Limo
would be the way to go..

Not a Vette, nor a Porsche will be that romantic and a
Viper is completely out of the question as they are very
uncomfortable, hot, lacking any and all amenities, and they
are not good in the hands of the inexperianced. In fact a
Viper in a n00b's hands is asking for an accident!

At least the Vette and the Porsche have their own spin on
Traction Control Systems the Vipers have NADDA..

:)

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Well said! :emoji_thumbsup:
I may be in the minority here, but I would suggest getting a more basic convertable, say a Toyata Solara or something in that range, save some money, and apply it towards getting her a message or some other type of pampering. When most women think of a romantic weekend, the type of car you'll be driving isn't what comes immediately to mind. For guys though, it would be one of the 1st. You have to ask yourself who your getting the high end sports car for, you or her? Regardless of what model you get, a convertable anything would be highly worth it.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Since when have wives ever known anything about cool cars? If you take her to the lot she'll probably just pick the mini-cooper because its "cute".

Keith M.

Second Unit
I have to agree w/ the others comments on the viper. This is the reason I opted for the Z06 when it was time to buy.

Looks aside, the viper is only good at one thing, speed! The viper has a very aggressive feel, lack of legroom, very uncomfortable seating and extremely hot (temp. wise).

The viper can easily get away from an unexperienced driver. The lack of traction control can mean disaster to someone with a lead foot.

I guess the porshe convertible would be the best of both worlds. Comfort and style. Not quite as exotic or fast as the z06 or viper, but in your case its not how fast you get from point a to point b...

Keith M.

Second Unit
Garrett:
"Since when have wives ever known anything about cool cars?"

Actually, my wife picked the Z06 over the other vettes when I was on the lot! :D

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
How about an Alpha Romeo Spider Veloce? Decent room, convertible, and not too pompous.

In these parts, the Corvette has its own slogan.

Loosely translated: Big corvette, small p... You get the picture. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks