What's new

Question about the screen on the new Hitachi 57SWX20B's (1 Viewer)

scot_salmon

Agent
All of you who have taken delivery of one of these units, tell me this. Have any of you had what look to be finger, hand/palm, or thumbprints on the screen which won't come off (i.e. they are either on the inside or sandwiched into the anti-glare screen)????

I got my new TV last week and it had this problem. I got the replacement delivered today and it has the same problem (in a different spot, but it's there). On both sets, the "defect" was along the very top edge of the screen near the middle. You are only able to see it when there is a white or very light colored solid scene on the screen.

I have the third one on order, to be delivered on Thur. The Great Indoors tells me this is the last exchange, then we will have to go the repair route with a tech. coming to assess the problem and then possibly swapping out the screen.

Is this just extremely bad luck, or is there somebody at the factory with potato chip grease on his hands assembling these things???

Anyone having the same problem?

Thanks.

Savage

Matt AR

Agent
I had the exact same problem. I purchased mine from Ultimate Electronics, who refused to exchange the unit (I had it for four days). I ended up returning the TV and taking my business elsewhere. My spots were along the bottom of the screen.

I also had a friend that purchased the 51 inch version at Circuit City. His had spots as well, but they replaced the TV the same day that he called. His new units do not have the spots. It just sounds like luck of the draw to me.

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like bad luck, i work at the great indoors in novi, mi and we haven't experience any of these problems. we've probly sold about 5 of them so far plus the one we have on display.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
This was a known problem on last year's models, it was supposed to have been cured by now.

I bought a 53UWX10B last Sept., which I returned for other reasons, but as I was disconnecting it for the return to the store I noticed a largish patch in the center of the screen that looked like there was liquid trapped between screen layers or something.

This was widely discussed at another Spot, and the explanation was that there was bacterial growth between screen layers. Seems the screen assemblies were actually built in Japan and shipped to Mexico where the sets were assembled and the contamination occured in transit.

Some folks over at that other Home Theater Spot went thru 3 or 4 sets with no improvement but when the screen alone was replaced under warranty the replacements were ok.

harold t

Grip
I have a 51swx20b and my screen is perfect.I love the picture on this tv,it is a lot better than the sony i
had before it.
HAROLD:)

scot_salmon

Agent
Bacterial growth huh? Sounds terrible. Does Hitachi acknowledge that their screens had this problem or was this discovered by other people taking the screens apart?

#3 will be here Thur. I'll report back.

Savage

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The bacterial growth explanation was posted by a CC salesman (one who was and still is a very strong advocate of Hitachi sets, btw, not by any means an Hitachi basher). He said it was the explanation given by Hitachi.

The common term for the problem was "bullseyes". In any case, most folks who got the screen assembly replaced under warranty did not have the problem.

Whether this is what's happening on the new sets or not I can't say.

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
Thats what I was told. Don't really know if it was true or not.

I have seen some blotches on the new 20B models, but they all cleaned off.

I think the anti-glare treatment makes fingerprints and such much more noticable.

I first tried rubbing the splotch and spot with a clean cotton cloth, but it did nothing. I used some MonsterCable brand big screen screen cleaner spray with the same cotton cloth and it came right off.

Be careful what you use on the screen, cause Ammonia and other normal glass cleaner additives have been known to eat plastics, and perhaps the anti-glare coating.

Warm watter, or ammonia free plastics cleaner, or an actual cleaner made for cleaning projection tv screens like the monster cable product work best. No harsh solvents.

Did you put forth an honest effort to clean the screen? What was the results?

scot_salmon

Agent
Well, first off, the "fingerprints" aren't even noticeable with the set off. So that right there leads me to believe that they are either on the inside or sandwiched in between the anti-glare screen.

Secondly, yes, I did try to clean off the screen. I used mild soap and water on a cotton towel as the owner's manual suggested. I didn't try any other cleaners. But, as I said, if you look at the screen from the front or at an angle, you cannot see the spots. They can only be seen when the set is on and there is a light colored or white background at the edges.

I'm not doing anything more until tomorrow when set #3 shows up. Someone on another forum mentioned trying to get a screen replacement on the third set if the same thing happened and trying for a TWX rather than an SWX screen. Is this something that Hitachi might do, or is this just wishful thinking? That poster stated that they might do it "for all your trouble." Should I try to push for this or will they just laugh? Oh, well, maybe #3 will not have the problem and I can get everything permanently hooked up!

Thanks.

Savage

Matt AR

Agent
This problem is not limited to the SWX. I had purchased the TWX from Ultimate with spots along the bottom.

Gary_O

Stunt Coordinator
Other than this problem, how do u guys like your Hitachi widescreen??

I am debating between getting this widescreen and the Toshiba 65 H82

scot_salmon

Agent
Well, #3 was delivered today. Much to my disappointment, it has the same screen problem as the previous two. Actually, it's worse. Both the first two had the spots (two each) along the top of the screen. This one has one at the top middle and two along the bottom of the screen.

To make matters worse, and to make me feel even more terrible, this set also has some geometry problems. The first two sets had almost perfect geometry right out of the box. This one, when you look at the lines in manual convergence mode, has some bowed lines near the edges. And, they also have some green poking out from under the white convergence lines. Also, this set seems to have a bit of ghosting (which the other two did not), but I haven't had a chance to look at it for very long to evaluate that potential problem.

A tech. is scheduled for next Thur. to come and assess the problem(s).
How much he'll be able to do is unknown at this time.

It's really disheartening to research a bunch of products, decide which one you think best meets your needs and has the best picture/feature set and then have this happen. I hear so many glowing reviews about this set. Maybe it's just been terrible luck on my part. I'm seriously thinking of scrapping the whole idea of going with this set and buying the Sony 57WV700.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Scott,

Does the expression "three strikes and you're out" ring a bell?

Seriously, Hitachi does know how to make an excellent rptv. I had an analog Ultravision for a couple of years and loved it.

As I mentionned previously, I did have last year's 53UWX10B and returned it for a variety of reasons none of which would necessarily apply to the newer higher end model you have. The set I exchanged it for was last year's Sony KP57HW40, and I love it. Again, I can't tell you the current WV700 model Sony is better than the current Hitachi SWX20, I've only seen them in stores and am firmly of the belief that a fair comparison is not possible due to so many variables involved in setup, calibration, and quality of feed, involved in the store environment.

Unless it will take you past your exchange priviledge window, I'd give the service guy a chance to correct your problems--as you say many people are very happy with their Hitachi sets. If the service guy is hopeless, or it looks like a long delay waiting for parts, I'd swap for another brand.

Good luck and keep us posted!!

scot_salmon

Agent
UPDATE - UPDATE - UPDATE
Here's the latest. I got a call from Sears repair a few days back and they said that the replacement screen was on back-order and they now have a ship date of Oct. 18. I told them that was unacceptable and they offered me a choice of a 4th 57SWX20B, a Sony KP-57WV600 or wait for the replacement screen. So, I opted to keep the repair date for the screen and have them deliver a 4th set.
Well, the saga continues. Didn't someone say that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?
#4 was delivered today. Much to my surprise, NOT, it has three smudges. One on the top and two on the bottom. Completely different places than the last one, but there nonetheless.
I'm at the end of my rope. I still have a replacement screen on order that is supposed to ship (or be delivered, I can't remember now) on Oct. 18. The problem is I have no confidence that the replacement screen will be smudge-free.
The manager has said she would check into getting the Sony KP57WV700 for me since all they carry is the 600. What is the general consensus on the 700? I feel sick that I am thinking of jumping away from this Hitachi because there is certainly a lot to like about it, but at some point one must say enough is enough. Are there any other models that The Great Indoors/Sears can get their hands on that I should be considering if I decide to make the switch???
Thanks for indulging me this continued rant and thanks for any opinions/advice.
Savage :frowning:

Peter Hunt

Stunt Coordinator
I've had my Hitachi 51UWX20B for over 2 months now and have never noticed any prints. However you guys are talking about the SWX quite a bit that has another layer of antiglare I believe... Coincidence?

Peter

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
It's not another layer of antiglare, just a single one that's more effective.

To the best of my knowledge the UWX series has no antiglare coating.

Scot,

Folks over at The Spot who got a replacement screen did not have the problem anymore, even after several set exchanges.

If you are otherwise very happy with the set I'd give the new screen a try if they'll still allow the exchange if it's no good. If not, exchange for the Sony now.

scot_salmon

Agent
I got my new screen in yesterday even though they said it wouldn't ship until Oct. 18 at the earliest. The Sears tech is coming out on Mon. to install it. I asked Sears on the phone if I should take it out of the box and inspect it. I did so and it seems to be clean. Of course I couldn't put as much light behind it as the set does, but there doesn't seem to be any evident smudges. We shall see......

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Savage

scot_salmon

Agent
OK, final (I hope) update on the screen problem with my 57SWX20B. The Sears repair guy came out today (late, but he made it) and switched the screen assembly out on my set. I had already unboxed the new screen and given it the once-over to check for smudges and there didn't appear to be any.

For those who are wondering, the screen comes off the front of the set by removing the lower front panels and the "bars" that are to each side of the power button. Then the screen pulls upward with some significant force and you take the casing and screen assembly off the front of the cabinet. Then there are about a hundred screws to remove to get to the actual screen assembly (OK, maybe not 100, but quite a few). We switched out the screen and reinstalled.

NO SMUDGES AT ALL!!!!! Yeah. Finally. The whole process took about 30 min. and I am once again a happy camper. I can finally do my AVIA mini-calibration and then get ISF'd after a bit. I didn't really feel like the guy knew what he was doing well enough to have him check the focus and convergence, so I just let him go on his way.

I asked the repairman if I could untape the old damaged screen assembly to have a look at the offending smudges. At first he said "sure", and then when he got ready to leave he said I could just keep the entire old assembly! So, I untaped it and took a look. The smudges were definitely on the inside. They were NOT on the protective screen at all. The lenticular and fresnel screens are glued together from the factory with a "bead" of glue all the way around the edge. I tried to use a damp clean soft cloth to clean the lenticular and the smudge was NOT on the outside of it either. So, as one would expect, the smudges were sandwiched between the fresnel and lenticular screens (inside the glued bits). I carefully pried them apart and it looks like the smudges are on the inside of the fresnel screen only. I used the same cloth and did not make much headway. I didn't try too hard because I didn't know what the substance was or if water would take it off, but it didn't seem to be going away with the minimal effort I gave it.

So, it looks like I have a spare protective and lenticular screen if anything should go wrong with mine post-warranty. Fresnel, who knows? Maybe it can be cleaned, maybe not.

Here's what I have learned during this process. If you have the smudge problem on your set, don't bother having the retail store ship you another unit. This may or may not solve the problem and, if it doesn't, you have wasted time in the process (I should know since I had 4 total units delivered). Just have them order a new screen assembly and have it installed. Now, having said that, I may have just gotten lucky that the replacement screen didn't have the same problem. But, from what I've heard so far, there haven't been any further problems from people that had a total screen assembly replacement. I would think that the QC on the replacement screens would be pretty tight. But, who knows?

Good luck to all of you who are suffering with this same problem. I hope you get it worked out to your satisfaction soon. To those who have never seen the smudges and wonder what the heck all the complaining is about, consider yourselves very lucky. It is a very annoying problem and, unfortunately, once you see the spots that's about all you can notice until you get them fixed.

Enjoy and happy TV watching to all.

Scot

Lee M

Auditioning
Does anyone know the difference between the SWX and TWX Hitachi models? I looked at the specs and they seem to be identical with the exception of the screen. The price difference seems extreme for only this to be the case. Thanks

Fred Block

Auditioning
I guess my question you you would be, would you trade this set for any other even with all the other problems you have had? I am SOOO torn because I am looking to upgrade to a 16x9 and currently have a Mitsu 60707 that has been good to me.

Should I go with the newer line of Mitsus or try the 65SWX20B?

Decisions decisions....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks