What's new

Question About My New LG 65EF9500 Display (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've had this set now for five days and am in awe of what it can do. It was the last LG -- manufactured in October, 2016 -- to offer 3D, and thus the best-tweaked of all their OLED 3D displays. It is an exponential upgrade from my 55" Panny plasma, and I got it for $2400. LG isn't kidding when it boasts of infinite contrast ratios. Black is really, truly black, and white is supremely white (2001 finally has deep velvet skies for the first time in my experience, including on the Cinerama screen). The quality of the 3D is so awesome that I plan to begin going through every one of my 160 3D discs all over again. DIAL M FOR MURDER, the first I tried because it looked so awful on the Panny, is finally watchable (not totally without ghosting, but probably about as good as I'd have seen it in a theater in 1953, had it been released that way).

But I have one caveat, and wonder what anyone with a similar set and a similar issue might have done to improve on it. The color on this display leans toward red, so faces are frequently too pink. I had the set professionally calibrated (using EX MACHINA 4k for this work), and have been futzing with color values and temperature ever since, but that only gets me so far. I just can't get the color to move far enough toward green. For some movies this is not a problem, as they are light on red saturation to start with. I cannot find another setting (such as "vivid" vs. "cinema" modes) that would extend the green and/or reduce the red.

Is there a member out there who owns this or a comparable model who has also tried to adjust this?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I have the 75UH8500 (also bought for 3D since they dumped it this year) and also notice the picture is a bit on the pink side- have you set the color using color bars and a blue filter though?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I've had this set now for five days and am in awe of what it can do. It was the last LG -- manufactured in October, 2016 -- to offer 3D, and thus the best-tweaked of all their OLED 3D displays.

Hmm? Wasn't the EF9000 a 2015 model?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
What do you mean it was professionally calibrated by using Ex Machina 4K? A professional calibrator would use test patterns and a colorimeter to get the proper values.

I have the 55EF9500, but don't notice the set leaning toward red. My set hasn't been calibrated other than contrast and brightness levels I used test patterns for.

Do you feel it leans red on all inputs?

Mike2001

Premium
Real Name
Mike
I've had my set since October '15. Used some settings from AVS to get started and test patterns from there. I don't notice a red push either.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Hmm? Wasn't the EF9000 a 2015 model?

Well, I checked the manufacturer's tag on the back and it said October 2016. Unless someone illegally changed that tag (and how could I verify that?), this was their last 3D set. And in fact this model is the EF9500, if that matters.

Now that I have used this machine for about a week, I find one caveat: noticeable on widescreen black and white viewings: the image has a (very) subtle pinkish tint on the right side of the screen. The left looks splendid. Once noticed, this becomes annoying, though I doubt anyone else visiting would see that at all. And, yes, I tried everything I could think of -- turning the color completely off, moving the tint, changing color tint, etc. I am not sure any calibration could completely correct this, even if it's possible to further minimize it. On a set that uses millions of individual light diodes to create an image, I don't get why this would happen, unless the problem on the surface of the screen itself.

Anyone?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
You might want to contact LG, you may have a bad panel. Maybe search through the owner's thread at AVS Forum because there were many comments about a panel lottery. Some had issues with yellow streaks, black uniformity on the edges, etc.

I don't have any weird looking artifacts. Same color all the way through.

I hope you get this straightened out, because it's an awesome tv.

And only for accuracy sake, last year's E6 had 3D, our EF9500s weren't the last.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Well, I checked the manufacturer's tag on the back and it said October 2016. Unless someone illegally changed that tag (and how could I verify that?), this was their last 3D set. And in fact this model is the EF9500, if that matters.

And only for accuracy sake, last year's E6 had 3D, our EF9500s weren't the last.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if somehow the EF9500 stayed in production while the E6/C6 were also being made.

I checked my C6 - it was made March 2017.

I guess Dick's EF9500 was probably the last of that run - surprises me LG still made them when they'd already moved on to the E6 line...

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
An update for my original post:

After trying to correct the pink tint on the right side of the screen, I quite accidentally stumbled upon the answer.

In order to move the t.v. closer to the audience seats, I pulled my 65" LG OLED away from the wall using a versatile wall mount. Suddenly and unexpectantly, the pink disappeared. My display had been mounted just above two front speakers, and I frequently had swerved the set to the right so I could watch it from my favorite chair. My conclusion is that the magnetic field from the right speaker was causing a distortion on the right side of my screen. Once the set was pulled away from being directly over the speakers, the problem went away.

I lover figuring out this stuff on my own! Lesson learned: Keep your display as far from your speakers as you can.

Last edited:

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Good to know! I didn't realize needing shielded speakers was still a thing.

Glad you fixed it and you don't need a new panel.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I've had this TV for two years and somehow just noticed that the pink tint is baked into the panel- I'd noticed it early on but figured it was something I could adjust in the advanced color settings. I don't know why it took me so long to figure out that the pink areas were in the actual panel and aren't affected by any adjustments, they stay even when turning the color all the way down.

Granted it's VERY subtle, and is mostly noticeable when using my computer as the screen is nearly all white there. Would probably be impossible to replace this TV now, and it's likely also within manufacturer's tolerances. I do have my speakers very close to it though as this TV BARELY fits in where I have it; I may have to try moving them to see if that helps but I don't have much choice in where they're permanently installed for now- may have to seek out new speakers.

Glad to hear this is normal in any case; though I'm very picky I've learned that the bigger the screen, the more imperfections it'll have (had a 40-inch CRT for a while) and I'll just go nuts if I expect everything to be perfect. I will say that the clouding on it was pretty bad when I first got it, but it seems to have gotten much better by now. The TV I had before was the same way, seems that's something that settles over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks