What's new

Question about setting saturation and hue with Avia (1 Viewer)

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Last night I used Avia to do the basic picture calibrations. After viewing the saturation and hue test bars using the blue filter, I arrived at a setting of 48(top limit is 63 on my tv). I originally had it set around 25 and thought it was realistic looking. My question is, does 48(about 75% of full color) sound like a reasonable level? It seems oversaturated to me. Should I try it for the recommended week or two? Just wondering what most of you have saturation (percentage of full) set at on your TV's. The only other setting that changed noticeably from my eyes's-only calibration was tint. The picture and brightness and sharpness levels were changed minimally. By the way, my TV is a 32" Panasonic GAOO (SuperFlat in the USA). It's not state of the art but it does have a very pleasing picture and since I discovered the raster squeeze for enhanced discs, I've been relatively happy.

I forgot to add that my DVD player is connected via component inputs.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If it looks oversaturated after using the Avia Blue Filter, it's probably because your color decoder has red push. Blue ends up at the correct level but red is overemphasized. You may want to use the Color Decoder Check pattern on the Avia disc to determine this, and back off on the saturation to compensate.

Depending on your set, it may be possible to adjust out the red push in the service menu. Someone with more knowledge of the Panasonic sets should be able to answer this.

KJP

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Almost all sets have a certain degree of red push, making the blue filter color setting way too high.

If you can't adjust the color decoder in the service menu, just bring up the color bar pattern again and with the naked eye turn down the color control until the intensity of the red bar matches the intensity of the other colors. Alternatively, just turn color down until fleshtones look natural.

Blaine Skerry

Second Unit
Thanks for the info guys. I believe the color decoder has red push at about 20%, so I reduced the color setting to about where I had it set before the Avia tests. I can access the service menu but I do not have a manual so I don't know which parameter is for color decoder adjustment. It is something I'd like to tackle but for now, I'm pleased with picture quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks