Question about sending audio to multiple headphones?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jamie, May 4, 2005.

1. Jamie

Jamie Stunt Coordinator

Is it possible to have a device that can accommodate multiple headphone jacks, like let's say 8 or so where someone could plug in and listen to a program on television without distracting those around them. My company wants to put in a plasma, and they want the audio that normally would play through a set of speakers, to only play through headphones that someone would have with them. The device I was thinking about would have a stereo input that the audio out from a set top box would plug into, like a left/right rca plugs, but then the 2 channels of audio could be amplified out over 8 or so headphones jacks. Could someone please tell me if this is possible, or point me in a general direction.

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Headphone distribution amplifier- used in recording studios all over the planet.

I have a cheap one built by Behringer (the old powerplay). It allows 2 different inputs to be "mixed", and supports 4 sep volume controls (and each one supports 2 sets of headphones). You can find these on Ebay for $50.

They have a newer one (HA8000) that has 8 channels with individual vol controls and aux inputs for each channel. Even this one, their top of the line model, is like $150 new!

Anyway- there are probably 200 different models out there. It will take some adapters to make it work, but it'll do what you're looking for...

3. Jamie

Jamie Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Vince!!