What's new

Question about record players... (1 Viewer)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Note: This post involves the subject of copying records to CD. The purpose of this is for making a durable, long-lasting, and most importantly, usable copy of the records, and will only be done for records personally owned, with the CD copies not being sold or distributed. However, if this violates the rules here about copying/pirating/bootlegging/etc...I understand. (Don't agree, but understand. :))
OK, now to my actual question. As explained in my note, I want to make copies of records onto CD. The main reason for this is that records just aren't really practical these days; they can only be played in the home. My parents have a large record collection and never listen to them anymore. They do, however, listen to CDs in their cars, and would listen to these record-copy-CDs, too.
Now they still have a working turntable. It's an Onkyo (I believe) and I know it's more than 20 years old, but I don't know it's exact age just now.
I figure I should be able to make copies of the records by connecting the turntable to the phono input of a receiver, and connecting an output, like the tape-out, of the receiver to the inputs of a sound card in a computer, then use some sound recording program, and possibly some kind of de-hiss or de-pop software, finally burning it to a CD-R.
My question is, will this older turntable still be good enough for the task? Would buying a new turntable give me noticably better sound? I wouldn't want to buy anything expensive, as once I'm done making the copies, I wouldn't have any further use for the player. I might be willing to spend up to $200 if it would give truly noticably better results. (And not necessarily for a brand-new unit, either; I'm always willing to buy high-quality, good-condition used equipment to get something better for less).

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
If the table is 20 years old, I would recommend getting a new stylus or at least getting the old one checked out.

If you have a $200 "budget", you may want to consider picking up a good, popular, more expensive TT used (like a rega P3). It may cost $500-$700, but you could easily sell it for $400-$600 after you're done using it. Just a thought...

-Mike...

Tom Grooms

Second Unit
Copying Records is a crime. Not a copyright issue but you should be convicted for destroying the musicality of the original analog source material. ;)
I agree with the Rega P3 turntable with the RB300 tonearm, big bang for the buck.

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
Not a copyright issue but you should be convicted for destroying the musicality of the original analog source material.
I heartily agree with you but I held my tongue in an effort to "just be helpful and nothing more". You see, once he gets the P3 hooked up, he'll realize what he's been missing all this time and keep it (but don't tell him that) :D.
-Mike...

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
A lot of my friends in High School would tape their new records and never play them again. They wanted to keep the vinyl in new condition, very good idea, except they never played them again in their lifetime. A lot of guys nowadays do that same thing with CD-R's. I listen to vinyl exclusively these days and I'm not afraid to spin my 1st Y/B Parlophone mono pressing of S.P.L.H.C.B or any other Beatle collectable vinyl I own for that matter. You only live once, live it up a little! :):):):)
I've already told my son that there are many rare records in my collection so take care of them when I go to meet my maker. :)

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
A lot of my friends in High School would tape their new records and never play them again.
I used to do that, too but only because it was kind of hard to use those 12" platters with my Walkman.

I don't have any qualms about playing my vinyl. I clean it and handle it carefully but I buy it to enjoy the music.

-Mike...

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Would buying a new turntable give me noticably better sound?
Hard to say. Unless you have a high quality sound card in your PC with a good analog-to-digital convertor, it might not be worth the effort. I did this with a 1970s Pioneer TT and got decent results. I haven't tried it with my P3. I'm sure there would be differences, but I wasn't burning the CDs for myself, so I didn't care that much :)
Ganymede Software has a 'cleanup' tool that I use that works pretty well. I forget the name, but it's around $40 to register the shareware and get all the features. It can break up an LP side into tracks (you'd want that on a CD), clean up pops and clicks, can be set to handle mono records properly (any differences between L and R signals is treated as noise and ignored), and you can also set overall filter and frequency response curves, I think. Check it out.
Edited for typos.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Guys, please, don't tell me what I'll be missing! :) These aren't my records and I never listen to them, anyway, and most of the music is outside of my tastes. I don't listen to these records and I doubt I'll be listening to the CD copies. These records belong to my parents and I'd be copying them for them.
My parents don't actually listen to much music inside the house, but when they want to, they're not afraid to whip out a record. At home, that's what they would still do, probably. But this project is for them to be able to enjoy in their cars, where they mainly listen to music, the music they already own on record. Obviously, playing a record in a car is practically impossible. They could buy the CDs for all the records they have, but they have hundreds of records but not thousands of dollars to spare on replacing them. I'm sure many of their records may not even be available on CD, too.
OK, here's a kicker of a question: Are any turntables in the price range I'm looking for capable of playing old 78rpm records? (I believe that was the speed, I forget, know it was seventy-something; my father has a bunch of these old things, most of which belonged to his father before him.)

mike_decock

Supporting Actor
OK, here's a kicker of a question: Are any turntables in the price range I'm looking for capable of playing old 78rpm records?
The folks on Vinyl Asylum usually recommend a used Thorens TT for playing 78s as well as 33 1/3 and 45 rpm records. I don't know anything about them, but if you search the archives there or ask around, you're sure to get some good suggestions.
-Mike...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks