What's new

2-channel stereo setup questions (1 Viewer)

NCElec11

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Currently I have a fairly basic setup in my home. I have a Sherwood RX4508 2-channel receiver with a Russound SS-6.2 speaker selector. When we purchased our home it already had in-ceiling speakers in the living room, kitchen, bedroom, and on the patio outside. I have since added a pair of Audioendine P4's in my office where my record player is located. The receiver is 100Wx2. All zones have a separate Niles control knob.

I've noticed since we've lived here the passed 4 years the sound level on the exterior patio speakers seems to have dwindled significantly. When I used to be able to blast music loud enough to probably bother my neighbors 3 houses away, I don't even think it reached my next door neighbors anymore. The speakers inside seem fine, but it doesn't take much for it to seem "loud" inside the home. I'm not sure if the problem is the receiver, the speakers themselves, or something with my setup.

The speaker selector is supposed to be impedance matching based on however many sets I have connected at any time, but I don't know much of anything beyond that or how to tweak it (if at all).

We purchased the receiver when we moved in, and from what I can tell, it's a fairly decent 2-channel receiver for the simple setup we're looking for and less than 4 years old.

All of the speakers were installed prior to our moving in and if I had to guess, they're all about 5-7 years old, except for the Audioengines.

Questions:

1) What is the most likely cause of the reduced volume out on the patio.

2) Is it likely the exterior speakers have been blown, or overused the last few years and need to be replaced?

3) Is my receiver good enough to power this type of setup? Do I need to invest and replace it for something more power?

Any insight is welcome and much appreciated!!!!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You said each zone has its own volume control. I would guess the outside has been turned down. At least, that's the most obvious reason.

NCElec11

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
That would be the most obvious but I'm smart enough to at least check that. I guess what I wasn't clear enough about was that at the same point in the volume knob the volume is lower.

What i'm really trying to figure out is whether or not adding the "office" set of speakers caused a negative effect on my receiver... or if the receiver itself can't handle this many sets of speakers... or if the speakers are just shot. I plan to take the speakers down soon to physically inspect them.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You’ll have to explain how everything is connected.

NCElec11

Auditioning
Real Name
Ryan
Receiver A channel is connected to the speaker selector with 16awg wire.
speaker selector is connected to all speakers with 16awg wire
all speakers have a niles wall knob in-line to control the volume at each space.

Pretty basic I don't know what else I can tell you but feel free to ask if I'm missing something.

The receiver is good for 100W per channel (200W total) which doesn't really seem like a lot but when i search I rarely find a 2-channel receiver with a higher power output.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's only possible to guess. So, my most likely guess would be that the outdoor speakers have simply deteriorated. If they were blown, they would most likely make some kind of crackling or scratching sound, or the high end would simply be gone. It you can take the covers off, you might do that and see if the surrounds (the flexible rubber part around the driver) has deteriorated.

That's my best guess.

While the impedance of the speakars should be maintained with the switch, the receiver still has to drive a lot of speakers, which will reduce how loud you can play them. I don't really have much personal experience with those, so I don't know exactly how practical they are or what the disadvantages are.

Maybe @Wayne A. Pflughaupt has something to contribute.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks