What's new

Basic wiring question so I get the best home theater sound (1 Viewer)

Zachman54

Auditioning
Real Name
Corey
Hello everyone, looking for some help wiring my new LG Soundbar with Dolby Atmos. I view movies from 3 different sources, ultra Hi-Def Blue Ray DVD player, the latest Roku devise, and my Xfinity cable box. I want to make sure I wire my new Soundbar so I get the best possible audio from each one. The Soundbar has 2 HDMI inputs, an HDMI ARC output, an optical input. I have the DVD player connected to HDMI 1, the HDMI ARC connected to the TV and the cable box And Roku to the TV. So it appears that the best the cable box can do Is Dolby Digital, I’m not sure about the Roku doing any better than that also and of course the DVD player can output whatever the DVD was recorded in. So I was wondering if I got this right or should I be using the optical cable or some other wiring method. The goal is to get the best possible sound from each device.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
Hello everyone, looking for some help wiring my new LG Soundbar with Dolby Atmos. I view movies from 3 different sources, ultra Hi-Def Blue Ray DVD player, the latest Roku devise, and my Xfinity cable box. I want to make sure I wire my new Soundbar so I get the best possible audio from each one. The Soundbar has 2 HDMI inputs, an HDMI ARC output, an optical input. I have the DVD player connected to HDMI 1, the HDMI ARC connected to the TV and the cable box And Roku to the TV. So it appears that the best the cable box can do Is Dolby Digital, I’m not sure about the Roku doing any better than that also and of course the DVD player can output whatever the DVD was recorded in. So I was wondering if I got this right or should I be using the optical cable or some other wiring method. The goal is to get the best possible sound from each device.
You may want to start here https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/dolby-atmos-sound/

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just keep in mind, no soundbar can truly reproduce Atmos. It can receive and process the signal, but the degree of actual "Atmos" soundfield you get will be virtually zero. So, just don't knock yourself out trying to feed an Atmos signal to the soundbar.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks