What's new

Question about music replacement. (1 Viewer)

Nico-Angel

Auditioning
Real Name
Nicholas
Hi,

I know it's a very common subject, a lot of people complain about this, but I still don't understand why some shows have their music replaced on dvd and others don't.

I know it's about money, but sometimes it doesn't make sense. Why do shows like Roswell and Dawson's Creek had so many music replacement and Smallville didn't have any (to my knowledge) ? Ok, maybe I can see why in the case of Roswell, but Dawson's Creek was as popular as Smallville, if not more.

Then, there are shows like Grey's Anatomy which uses a lot of expensive songs, and has no problem releasing them on dvd. I know that the show is very popular, but so is How I Met Your Mother, and a lot of songs were replaced on the dvds.

And I guess I'll never understand why you can use a song for the tv broadcast but not on a dvd. I know it's a law in the United States, but it doesn't make sense. A show like Dawson's Creek promoted a lot of artists when it first aired, and could continue to do so with the release on dvd, but has to pay millions for that ? that's just stupid.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
There's no one answer but usually it comes down to the studio having paid for the rights to use the song when the show is broadcast but they did not pay to use the song for a video release. Today, it's commonplace to pay for both (since DVD and Blu-ray releases are the norm) so modern shows don't have as much music replacement. However 10 or more years ago, no one could have predicted the need to spend the extra money on home video rights for something like Roswell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks