What's new

Question about laying speaker cable correctly (1 Viewer)

caned_monkey

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven
Hello there!

I am currently setting up a home cinema/hi-fi system in my living room and i am up to the stage where i'm about to lay the speaker cable(about 25m), all of which will be hidden inside pvc trunking. I have a couple of questions, if any of you gurus out there can help me it would me very much appreciated.

There is one section of cable which will have to run past a plug socket. I've heard that runnning speaker cable past power points can cause issues regarding sound quality. Is this true and is there a way i can sheild the cable from this?

Also, another section of the cable will run along the bottom of a wall where my phone line and broadband cable already run. I was going to pull these up and run them inside the trunking along with my speaker cable. Will either of these cables cause me any problems running next to my speaker cable and if there is, is there anyway around it?

Thanks in advance

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
No problem if the speaker wire runs past the plug socket.

You do not want the speaker cable to run right next to and following the same path as the power cable to the plug socket, there should be a few inches separation, some experts say a foot. Since the power cable is inside the wall, it is not easy to find out what path it takes.

Do not put the phone line etc. in the same trunking or conduit as the speaker wires. The speaker wires following roughly the same path should be separated from these other cables by a few inches (some experts say a foot) also. So the speaker wire should not run where the wall meets the floor unless the other wires are moved somewhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks