What's new

Question about entry level surround receivers (1 Viewer)

jason43

Auditioning
Real Name
jason
Hey all. I have a Toshiba Regza 55ZV655U tv. Recently, for whatever reason, the composite inputs and outputs have stopped working. Any device that doesn't have an HDMI output cannot be used. The warranty is up and sending it off for repairs isn't an option right now. I was looking at standalone composite to HDMI converters, but I'm not sure I want to go that route. My question is: do most audio receivers that have HDMI outputs convert composite to HDMI, or do you still need to use the RCA outputs in addition to the HDMI? I'm also open to other suggestions. Thanks.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Look for those with "Anaolog To Digital Video Conversion". Most receivers above the $500 mark have this capability. Examples would be the Onkyo 609, Denon 1912, Yamaha 671 and Pioneer 921. Most will also "up-convert" the signal to 1080i or 1080P, but not all.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
I've been doing some research on latest features to advice a friend on a 3D Receiver/surr system, and found the entry level Pioneer Elite VSX-30 will do analog to digital conversion, they are selling for less than $300 now.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Elite VSX-30 is pretty much the same as the regular 921 with a few minor things like the orange display and two year warranty. But under $300 is pretty good but Pioneer will NOT honor the warranty on Elite products that aren't purchased from an authorized dealer.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
gene c said:
The Elite VSX-30 is pretty much the same as the regular 921 with a few minor things like the orange display and two year warranty. But under $300 is pretty good but Pioneer will NOT honor the warranty on Elite products that aren't purchased from an authorized dealer.
Thanks Gene for reminding me, I went back and double checked the fine print I missed at Costco and they do mention they are not an "authorized " dealer, but still will give you the standard Costco 2 year warranty, the other site is Amazon, but no mention of warranty there, I doubt the "Fulfillment" dealer is "authorized" though.... Good to know the 921 is about the same, I'll keep an eye out for it if I see it at a good price, we're going this week to look around for a receiver locally in the few places still around, and the other choice will be Onkyo 509, as the 609 might be over his $300 receiver budget,he doesn't have any analog video devices,so the Pioneer x30 is more than he needs, even though I think it is much better unit all around than the Onkyo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks