What's new

3D Blu-ray Review Marvel's The Avengers 3D Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

The kind of superhuman effort it must have taken to coordinate the schedules of the major actors so they could participate in Marvel’s The Avengers would be worthy of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, the Hulk, Hawkeye, and the Black Widow’s powers combined. Marvel’s epic assemblage of their top tier superheroes doesn’t disappoint in terms of the overall action and eye-popping stunts of the power players, but there are only glimmers of the humanity and character investigation with the team members present in this herculean group effort. One must ultimately wait for their next individual film adventures in order to delve more deeply into the inner recesses of their souls and minds.

Marvel’s The Avengers 3D (Blu-ray Combo Pack)
Directed by Joss Whedon

Studio: Marvel/Disney/Paramount
Year: 2012
Aspect Ratio: 1.78:1   1080p   AVC codec
Running Time: 143 minutes
Rating: PG-13
Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 English; DTS-HD HR 7.1 French; Dolby Digital 5.1 Spanish
Subtitles:  SDH, French, Spanish

Region: no designation
MSRP: $ 49.99

Release Date: September 25, 2012

Review Date: September 24, 2012

The Film

4/5

Worldwide global immolation is imminent when the Tesseract, a cube of unfathomable energy, is stolen by Thor’s (Chris Hemsworth) brooding, black sheep brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston). Against the wishes of the murky governing body S.H.I.E.L.D., Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) assembles an eclectic bunch of superheroes: Iron Man (Robert Downey, Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans), Thor, the Hulk (Mark Ruffalo), and Black Widow (Scarlett Johansson) to retrieve the cube and prevent whatever dastardly warlike plan Loki is hatching with the aid of Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) and Professor Erik Selvig (Stellan Skarsgard), both of whom have been hypnotized into following Loki’s master plan. But the superheroes’ differing views of handling crises bring them into direct conflict with one another, and with their lack of a united front, Loki is easily able to set his plan for world domination into motion.

With all of his principal heroes and the film’s major villain already introduced in prior films (though Black Widow and Hawkeye were only briefly seen in the others’ franchise entries), co-writer/director Joss Whedon doesn’t have to waste an inordinate amount of time on backstory, all the better to get things hopping early with Loki’s assault on a couple of good guys and turning them to his own Dark Side (or in this case Blue Side). Viewers will have their favorites among the heroes, but the initial face-offs between the snarky, self-involved Tony Stark/Iron Man and the painfully forthright and patriotic Steve Rogers/Captain America give the film just the right amount of dry humor and groundedness. And the age-old questions about who would beat whom in a fight end in stalemates time and again as each hero’s strengths often works to the advantage of the others. With so much of the movie involving face-offs and battles and full-out destruction, it’s to director Whedon’s credit that these scenes don’t run on too long or become the movie’s only reason for existing. And even in the midst of the most serious moments can come something hilarious like the Hulk’s one punch response to one of his compatriots or Loki's being forcefully slammed into submission with a subsequent groan. And Whedon is wise enough to know there have to be casualties among the good guys, a sad but inevitable fact which also gives the film some additional grounding in reality amidst the overpowering fantasy elements.

With most of the actors already adept in their parts, it goes without saying that Robert Downey, Jr.’s martini-dry way with a line and Chris Evans’s forthright earnestness remain tremendously appealing. Mark Ruffalo’s first turn as Bruce Banner/the Hulk after two previous actors each had a go is very effective and makes one eager for him to get his own franchise entry. Chris Hemsworth makes for a realistic, very god-like Thor, and Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury is as commanding as Jackson typically is with most of his roles. Scarlett Johansson fits right in with the boys amid the tumult and testosterone of her surroundings while Jeremy Renner is fine if just a trifle underwhelming as Hawkeye. Clark Gregg and Cobie Smulders as S.H.I.E.L.D. agents each handle the roles with aplomb.

Video Quality

4.5/5

3D implementation - 4/5

The film has been framed for home video at 1.78:1 and is presented in 1080p using the AVC codec. Sharpness and clarity are superlative throughout the presentation, and color is dynamic but always under control even with the vivid colors of Captain America’s uniform or Tony Stark’s armored suit. Flesh tones are always realistic and persistently appealing. Black levels are superb and really help the darker images to pop even watching in 3D while wearing polarized glasses. There’s just a touch of aliasing and a bit of moiré in tight line structures which prevent the image from being reference quality. But those moments are very few and not intrusive. The film has been divided into 20 chapters.

Though Whedon began filming in real 3D, he quickly balked at the cumbersome set-ups and opted for 3D conversion for the movie. The sense of depth within the frame is quite often very startling and gives the heli-carrier set an almost infinite sense of space. There’s interesting placement of people and objects on separate planes, too, which makes for arresting compositions. Subtitles also seem to float impishly in front of our eyes when they appear. The many places where outward projections would have worked spectacularly in real 3D (Loki’s spear and horned helmet, rifles and arrows, sparks, broken glass, and tons of destroyed buildings and vehicles with pieces flying everywhere) are all pretty much missed opportunities. Little to no crosstalk was glimpsed during the film's running time.

Audio Quality

5/5

The DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 sound mix will not disappoint offering a three dimensional soundfield that’s completely immersive and involving. Split effects are a common occurrence throughout the running time of the movie, and the LFE channel gets a thorough workout with thundering bass at quite frequent intervals. Alan Silvestri’s music enhances the action rather than distracts from it. Dialogue has been superbly recorded and is always intelligible residing in the center channel.

Special Features

3.5/5

The 3D disc contains no bonus features at all, not even a 3D trailer for the film.

The bonus features are contained on the 2D Blu-ray disc in the case (layered below the 3D disc in the package I received). The video supplements are all in 1080p.

The audio commentary by Joss Whedon is comprehensive. He keeps a steady stream of chatter going about all aspects of the filming which fans of the movie will certainly want to hear.

An Easter egg on the left of the “Play Movie” button brings up a screen of dossiers on each of the principal characters of interest to S.H.I.E.L.D.

“Marvel One Shot: Item 47 is an 11 ¾-minute short with a follow-up adventure featuring a weapon from the film proper in the hands of two bandits.

The gag reel (according to the liner notes, the first ever for a Marvel film) runs 4 minutes.

There are eight deleted/extended scenes which can be viewed individually or in one 15-minute grouping.

“A Visual Journey” features director Joss Whedon, three producers, co-stars Samuel L. Jackson and Scarlett Johansson, and cinematographer Seamus McGarvey discussing the look of the film, particularly the use of a real NASA location and the heli-carrier set where much of the action in the film’s first half occurs. It runs 6 ½ minutes.

“Assembling the Ultimate Team” is a love letter for the actors as each of the principal stars of the film shower affection on one another’s talents in this 8 ¼-minute puff piece.

“Live to Rise” music video is performed by Soundgarden and runs 4 ¾ minutes.

The movie also offers the Second Screen experience for those with iPads, iPhones, or computers synched to the movie.

The Blu-ray disc has promo trailers for Frankenweenie and other Marvel-related films and discs.

The third disc in the set is the DVD copy of the movie.

The fourth disc in the set is the digital copy of the movie/digital album with an enclosed code which works on Mac or PC devices.

In Conclusion

4/5 (not an average)

A comic lovers’ nirvana film, Marvel’s The Avengers gives fans of the Marvel universe pretty much everything they might want from a film that combines the firepower of their favorite characters into a single movie. With near reference video and reference audio, this Blu-ray package earns a definite recommendation.

Matt Hough

Charlotte, NC

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Mark Ruffalo and Joss Whedon succeeded here where the others failed in bringing in a Hulk that was true to the comic incarnation. Part of me secretly hopes that Whedon will be behind the wheel when Incredible Hulk 2 gets underway.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
"With all of his principal heroes and the film’s major villain already introduced in prior films (though Black Widow and Hawkeye were only briefly seen in the others’ franchise entries)"
Could you tell me where to find Black Widow and Hawkeye? I have all of the movies and never saw them introduced previously.
Thanks.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
DennisBassi said:
"With all of his principal heroes and the film’s major villain already introduced in prior films (though Black Widow and Hawkeye were only briefly seen in the others’ franchise entries)"
Could you tell me where to find Black Widow and Hawkeye? I have all of the movies and never saw them introduced previously.
Thanks.
Black Widow (Scarlett Johansen) has a major part in Iron Man 2. She is Tony's assistant, and shows off her BW skills (taking out dozens of men, while Jon Favreau takes out one).
Hawkeye (Jeremy Renner) is in Thor. He is seen in the scene near the dig. It wasn't a big part, and he might not have been named, but it is definitely supposed to be Hawkeye
David

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by DennisBassi /t/323986/marvels-the-avengers-3d-blu-ray-review#post_3979675
Thanks.

Black Widow is in Iron Man 2. Hawkeye is briefly glimpsed in Thor.

Oh, I see Dave already answered.

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Just grabbed the disc for me and a friend of mine. I've never looked more forward to a commentary track than this release.

kaseyart

Auditioning
Real Name
Kasey Dwyer
The 2 Target's by my work were sold out so I went to Best Buy. They price matched Target's $20 for the 3D version. Just in case you haven't got your copy yet.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I first picked up my Bond 50 at Best Buy (they lowered first and I like to support locals when the price is similar) and then bought the 3D Avengers at Target around 11am. Being a relatively small town, our Target had plenty and they were right up front by the registers so I didn't have to head for the back to find it.
When I was checking out, the cashier asked me if I had a 3D TV. When I responded I did she ask how would you know if your TV is 3D because she was looking to get this for her husband but didn't know if her TV was 3D. I said that if it was 3D, it was very likely he would have shown her something in 3D so it probably wasn't. However, since the 3D and 2D versions were the same price and the 3D version comes with a 2D disc, she could get the 3D version and treat the 3D disc as a freebie until they get a 3D TV. I just hope they notice that the 2D disc is underneath the 3D disc and don't just see the "This disc is for 3D players only" on the top disc and return it. This is the first packaging I have seen where the 2D disc is buried under the 3D disc and it is not obvious it is there. Normally I see 3D on the left side and 2D on the right side, which I then swap as the movie is always on the right and "extras" is on the left.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I got this today from Best Buy (Every Target in my area was sold out). I haven't watched anything yet, but the packaging is horrible. On the left the DVD version is stacked directly on top of the digital copy disc and on the right the 2D Blu-Ray disc is burried under the 3D disc. I do like that they included a download of the soundtrack album with the set.

chadHobbick

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chad
I pre-ordered this back in June from Amazon, and noticed it had a delivery date of Thursday, 9/27. Chatted w/Amazon to see why a pre-order that guaranteed release date delivery when I ordered, plus being a Prime member, that it was delayed till Thursday of that week. Wasn't given a definitive answer, but told that it is currently on backorder, but they would upgrade me to 1 day shipping free of charge, but they don't have any idea of when they will get more stock in so...brilliant, lol. I let the customer service rep know that it wasn't that big of an inconvenience, this was before I was told it was on backorder which I didn't find out til they sent me an email after the chat, but I don't like that after pre-ordering months in advance and promised day of delivery that they can't explain fully of how they can't keep that promise. It reminds of Jerry Seinfeld in the car rental agency when he reserved a car in advance and is then told when it is time to pick up that car there are none available.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by chadHobbick /t/323986/marvels-the-avengers-3d-blu-ray-review#post_3979978
I pre-ordered this back in June from Amazon, and noticed it had a delivery date of Thursday, 9/27. Chatted w/Amazon to see why a pre-order that guaranteed release date delivery when I ordered, plus being a Prime member, that it was delayed till Thursday of that week. Wasn't given a definitive answer, but told that it is currently on backorder, but they would upgrade me to 1 day shipping free of charge, but they don't have any idea of when they will get more stock in so...brilliant, lol. I let the customer service rep know that it wasn't that big of an inconvenience, this was before I was told it was on backorder which I didn't find out til they sent me an email after the chat, but I don't like that after pre-ordering months in advance and promised day of delivery that they can't explain fully of how they can't keep that promise. It reminds of Jerry Seinfeld in the car rental agency when he reserved a car in advance and is then told when it is time to pick up that car there are none available.
Same here, but mine delivered today. Sometimes, you have to wonder about these businesses databases in which some orders get delay for no apparent reason.

Crawdaddy

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Just noticed that Amazon lowered the price of the 3D package to $19.99, no doubt to match Target.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
GlennH said:
Just noticed that Amazon lowered the price of the 3D package to $19.99, no doubt to match Target.
Thanks for the heads up.
Thats way too good of a deal to pass up for this movie on 3D bluray.,
I haven't even seen it yet, but I know this is a good blind buy.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by GlennH /t/323986/marvels-the-avengers-3d-blu-ray-review#post_3980005
Chad,

This gives you an opportunity to let Amazon know you want it at that new lowered price since it hasn't shipped yet from Amazon.

Crawdaddy

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Anyone know what's actually on the Target exclusive bonus disc (w/ supposedly 90min of content)? Since my Target sold out (and may or may not restock the 3D version w/ exclusive disc this week), I'm debating whether to just stick w/ the 2D version + Target exclusive for the same price instead of ordering from Amazon (or trying to get a PM elsewhere). Even if/when Target restocks their shelves w/ the 3D version, it's not clear whether they will have anymore of the exclusives.

I still don't have 3D glasses yet -- and no idea when I'll get around to getting any. Also, I read some small knocks about the 3D on this likely due largely to the 2D-to-3D conversion needed. If the exclusive bonuses are significant (and not mere fluff), I may just stick w/ that instead, assuming I can't have both for the same price...

Thanks.

_Man_

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
ManW_TheUncool said:
Anyone know what's actually on the Target exclusive bonus disc (w/ supposedly 90min of content)?  Since my Target sold out (and may or may not restock the 3D version w/ exclusive disc this week), I'm debating whether to just stick w/ the 2D version + Target exclusive for the same price instead of ordering from Amazon (or trying to get a PM elsewhere).  Even if/when Target restocks their shelves w/ the 3D version, it's not clear whether they will have anymore of the exclusives.
I still don't have 3D glasses yet -- and no idea when I'll get around to getting any.  Also, I read some small knocks about the 3D on this likely due largely to the 2D-to-3D conversion needed.  If the exclusive bonuses are significant (and not mere fluff), I may just stick w/ that instead, assuming I can't have both for the same price...
Thanks.
_Man_
Seven exclusive featurettes with over 90 minutes of content.
Bonus disc features;
Assembling the Avengers
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Thor
Captain America: The First Avenger
Marvel's The Avengers

MattAlbie60

I Work for Mr. E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific
Real Name
Stephen Lilley
It's a 98 minute documentary about all the Marvel "Phase One" movies from IRON MAN to AVENGERS.
There are a lot of old interviews, but to be fair they aren't disingenuous about it. When they cut into older interviews with, say, Jon Favreau, they clearly identify the year (2007, for example). All new interviews are labeled with 2012. I'm not entirely sure how much of the material appeared on the other Blu-rays and is just presented here, re-edited.
It is an actual Blu-ray, though, which surprised me. I thought it was a DVD.
It has a super irritating "Hey you guys, isn't this EXCITING!" narrator that kind of hurts it. On the whole it's not terrible. I might even go as far as calling it "good," now that I think about it. Worth it for free, certainly.
It is important to note that it is the ONLY worthwhile supplement on THE AVENGERS release that isn't the commentary (which is great) or the deleted scenes (if you're into that sort of thing). Mark my words, you'll end up never watching anything else again. Certainly not that awful Soundgarden song, which almost instantly lost me by rhyming "understand" with "hand" while making an ill-conceived "What if you DON'T know it all?!?!" metaphor.
MY question is: is this what was going to be on that secret extra disc in the MARVEL eleventy-disc boxed set that just got pushed back?

Paul D G

Screenwriter
The Target doc wasn't too bad at all. Rather than little mini-docs on each film, they take time to discuss the cross referencing in each film, discuss the order, how the whole Phase One series came to be. Normally the kids will wander off during these things but the both watched the entire thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks