What's new

Question about DuckTales: The Movie (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I was watching this movie for the first time in a long while today and noticed something I never had before. The opening of the film, animation-wise, looks much better than the rest of the movie. Not necessarily in the amounts of frames of animation used, but the shadowing of the characters. If you look at the beginning the characters have "highlight" shadows on jaw-lines and on legs and arms.

However, by about five minutes in that all disappears and they all are flatly colored like in the TV show.

I don't remember when this movie came out so I was wondering why they did this? Seems kind of odd to do it for only one scene, but I thought shading like this didn't come around until Disney started using the CAPS system to color everything so I was thinking maybe they used that scene as a test of the system or something. Again, since I don't remember when it came out I don't know if that's feasible or not, but I can't really see why they'd have better coloring in the very first scene and not keep it consistant. Unless they just suddenly decided to save more money on it or something.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I asked someone about this once. What ended up happening is that the intro for the film was done basically last, as there was a different introduction originally planned. As the film progressed, there were needs to go back and make serious changes to the introduction. More then that, it was originally thought that it may end up a Wonderful World of Disney or Disney CableTV movie.. instead of a theatrical release. There were lots of changes in the expectations for this film..

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Well if the intro was done last you'd think they'd make it match the rest of the film in look and style. That makes it seem even more odd that they'd do it this way.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Can I raise another Ducktales The Movie question? Does anyone feel that the Kevin J O'Connor character of Benny in Stephen Sommers' The Mummy is little more than a blatant rip off of Richard Libertini's Dijon character in Ducktales? :D Seriously, first time I saw the Mummy I just thought of Dijon from Treasure of the Lost Lamp. :laugh:
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks