What's new

question about driver sensitivity (1 Viewer)

Alfie

Grip
hi there.. I have a wharfedale diamond speaker set. 8.3 , 8.1 and center..

a week ago.. I got to talk to a custom speaker maker ..

I asked about the speakers referring to the diamonds low sensitivity being 86... i asked if theres something that can be done about this..like a tweak or something.. he said that theres a jumper/capacitor (im not too sure ok) that can be removed and replaced by a wire on the crossover.... by doing so would increase the sensitity a bit..around 90+ probably...

is this tweak a good sugggestion??? just curious.any advice??

Richard Little

Stunt Coordinator
I have heavily modified my computers, for the last couple of years, to squeeze out every ounce of power with great success. Currently I would never consider doing this to my A/V equipment because the components to expensive, voids high dollar warranties, and I don’t know anything about it. There is always a downside to modifications that takes experience to control. You can not buy a computer as fast as mine but on the flip side I have to turn on the cooling system before I can turn on the computer, check the radiator filter every couple of weeks, and change the fluid every couple of months. Ask the speaker maker what the downside to doing the speaker mod is.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Capacitors are usually used in the crossovers for high pass/low pass filtering, so I can’t see how bypassing one of them could increase sensitivity – unless the crossover was designed to mask a spike in response near the crossover point.

More than likely it was a resistor he’s talking about. Resistors are often used as a “pad” to make the relative levels between the woof and tweet match. So if you did get an increase in sensitivity, it would be at the expense of making one driver louder than it should be. In other words, you would loose spectrum balance.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Plus sensitivity is generaly based on the Midrange and in
this case the Midrange is probably an 86Db driver and
nothing is going to change that... If the tweeter is padded
down like Wayne said, you will unballance the output and
it won't really be anymore sensitive it just won't be right :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks