What's new

Question about digital / analog decoding (1 Viewer)

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Hi folks,

I have the Onkyo TX-SR800 AV receiver connected to an Onkyo DV-SP800 DVD-A / SACD player. I'm using a TOSLINK cable for digital and 6 analog cables for analog.

My question: Which component is doing the decoding / processing for digital and for analog?

And, a follow-up question: Does it really matter? Would I get better results using one or the other?

Thanks for any help.

Dave

adamKI

Stunt Coordinator
For analog connections, the processing is done in the DVD player - the reciever does it when you use the digital.

You NEED to use the analog connections to hear DVD-A/SACD but the digital connection may or may not sound better for Dolby Digital/DTS sound on DVD Videos. In theory, the DACs in the receiver will be better than the ones in the DVD player - you'l have to listen to find out for sure.

Also, since your DVD player only has analog outs for 5.1 sound, you'll need to use the digital connection if you have a 6.1 or 7.1 setup on your SR800. I believe that's the only way you can hear DTS-ES soundtracks in 6.1 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

DaveDickey

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, Adam. The SR800 receiver and the DVD player are often sold together and were produced at about the same time, so perhaps the quality of the DAC's etc. are similar, in which case I would not need to worry about which component is doing which conversion. Thanks again, Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks