What's new

Blu ray audio connections (1 Viewer)

N3NEP

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Steinbacher
I have a Denon 2803 with 7.1 multi channel analog inputs and I am getting a Sony bdp-550s bluray player for christmas.
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif
From what I have read and observed the Sony has the 7.1 multi channel analog outs and built in decoder for the new Dolby and DTS hd audio modes. My question is about the audio connection, if I connect the multi channel out of the bluray player to the multi channel inputs on the reciever to enable the dolby and dts hd audio modes do I still need to connect the digital coax or toslink audio out of the bluray player to get the old dolby & dts modes when the new dolby format is not present? For example when watching a DVD movie. Will the bluray player or reciever allow me to set up for both?

Thanks
N3NEP

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Try it. With the regular dvds, the DD and DTS sounds better over the digital connection. Not sure if it will on BD player or not. Give it a try, and see which sounds best for regular DD and DTS.

N3NEP

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Steinbacher
I'm sorry maybe I wasn't clear on my statement. Let me try to clarify. I wanted to know what happens to the DD and DTS if I hook up the blue ray player with only the 7.1 multi channel analog connections. Can I hook up the 7.1 and toslink and it will play whatever source is output from the player or will I have to go into a menu and switch audio mode everytime I go between bluray and dvd.

thanks

Raymond lee Leggs

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Raymond Lee Leggs
I would just connect it via toslink, you won't have to switch between formats the Player and receiver will both do that for you.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you play a regular dvd thru the analog inputs, the player will decode the regular DD and DTS just as your receiver would thru the toslink/coax connection. The only difference is with the analog connection you will not be able to use the bass and treble controls or other processers the receiver has to offer. With the multi channel analog outs (Edit: OOPS! In the receiver it's the analog "in's", not the "out's"), most receivers act only as an amplifier and volume controller.

I would hook up both the analog in's for TrueHD and DTS-MA and the toslink/coax for everything else. And with both connected you wouldn't have to go into the players menu to switch between the two, you would simply have to switch between the DVD and Multi-Ch inputs on the receiver. I'm pretty sure the player sends both out at the same time.

N3NEP

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott Steinbacher
Thanks, thats what i was trying to find out so just hook up both and switch the audio input selection on the reciever depending on which format is playing. Got it, good. ;)

thanks
N3NEP

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
But as Ed pointed out, your new Sony BluRay player may very well sound better with DD and DTS thru the analog outs than your old Denon receiver will thru a digital connection. Doesn't hurt to try them both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks