What's new

Question about Dell computers and RAM (1 Viewer)

Ok, I have Dell Dimension 8200 with WinXP with only 128 megs of ram. I've been hearing that to fully appreciate winxp I need atleast 256 megs of ram. So heres my problem, my dell uses RDRAM which is pretty pricey and hard to find round here. So I was wondering if it was possible to replace it with another type of ram, like say SDRAM??.

Andre F

Screenwriter
Speaking of where is the best deal on RDRAM? I have 512mb and should not need an upgrade for a while but when I do it is rather expensive...

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
You cannot replace RDRAM with SRDRAM or DDR RAM, and that's why it's so expensive (whoever makes it has to pay a license fee to RAMBUS). The 8200 is Dell's top of the line system, 128MB is really low.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
RDRAM is not really that expensive. I just recently put 256 more into my machine at work. Check out Link Removed for their weekly ram price lists.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
It was just today that somebody over at the Dell Dimension User forum asked how come Crucial does not sell RDRAM. He sent an inquiry to Crucial and the response was Crucial (Micron) does not think RDRAM will ever become main stream (generate enough volume) to make it worth their while, there is no plan for them to make/sell RDRAM.

One caution about buying the cheapest online, and I may have posted this here before, is you may get some real flakes. I had experience buying from EdgeMicro (which is one of the vendors listed on the above price list link). It kind of looked good, it's the cheapes by a healthy margin and it's life time guaranteed. Well, the part was sold as NEW, but when I recieved it, it was in a little ziplock bag, with a handwritten (pencil) sticker loosely stick on it. It turned out it did not work with my Thinkpad (even though all the spec and pins are right). The "Life Time Guarantee" in the fine-fine print says that they will only "REPLACE" the questionable/defective part, but you have to pay shipping (both ways) and they ONLY accepts UPS, which works out to be about $20 PER RETURN (for a $55 part). AND, if you don't want to excange, you can return it for a 25% restock fee (plus shipping, of course). It ended up costing me about $23 to return the $55 part. SO buyer beware.
RDRAM is a little tricky, but when I brought my 512MB DDR a month ago, I just went to Fry's, ask them to give me the cheapest they have, as it's local, I can alway take it back. It turned out that it was cheaper than any place online, and that's not even counting the shipping cost and wait.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
Two 128MB RIMMS of PC800 RDRAM will set you back between $85-100 (You'll have a total of 384mb). Two 256mb RIMMS will set you back about $180 (you'll have a total of 640mb).

Just look for PC800 RDRAM on pricewatch in the sizes you want. Make sure you get two of whatever you want in identical sizes. You can check on Pricewatch.com.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Is that the same Micron that is in litigation with Rambus over patents pertaining to SDram and DDR? If so, no wonder they'd say that. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks