Stupid question: Am I running my laptop "too hot?"

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Scott_lb, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I recently downloaded the new "Call of Duty 2" demo (which kicks ass, by the way) to see if I could run the game on my laptop (Dell Inspirion 8500, PIV 2.2, 512MB RAM, 64MB video card). The settings were basically on "medium" and everything looked almost as good as Half-Life 2 and Doom III did on my machine. However, when finished playing through the demo level, and subsequently removing my headphones, I noticed that the fan on the back of my machine was in high gear! I felt the back and bottom of my machine and it was substantially warmer than normal. I would assume that this has to do with the compute having to do more processesing/crunching than with normal programs (Word, Excel, DVD's, etc.). I'm concerned that I am somehow "hurting" or "abusing" my laptop by running software like this. My machine seemed to run about the same (i.e., with the fan going like blazes) with Half-Life 2 and Doom III, however, those are the only two "next-gen" games I've played on my laptop.

Thoughts?

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you don't do it too often. As long as your fans continue to work you should be fine.

With that said, your computer has lots of mechanical parts in and these tend to wear out more quickly when there is more heat around. So overall you may be shortening the life of your laptop, but it's probably not too bad as long as this is only occasional.

3. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

Agreed, another thing to do is if you have a fan on the bottom, make sure its not covered so it can get as much air in as possible. If I am doing anying cpu intensive I will prop up the back of it a little. At least with my Dell laptop if it gets too hot it will shutdown. The only time I have had that happen is twice it didn't shutdown right and I stuck it in my case while it was still running.

4. Paul Padilla

Paul Padilla Supporting Actor

You're definitely putting your laptop through it's paces and any computer is going to put out more heat when Imps, pinky demons and BFG's are involved. Most machines have some overheat protection in the form of an alarm or even power management to suspend the computer. Mike's right...make sure the laptop is on a flat, hard surface to eliminate blocking any ventillation.

Now that you know what to look for, pay close attention if the fan stops running.

5. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Thanks for the responses guys. To be on the safe side, I think I'll stop running such programs at all. I realize I might be a little anal here, but I need my laptop to last me quite a while.

Thanks again!