What's new

Question about convergence. (1 Viewer)

BruceVC

Grip
Hi! This is the first time I am posting on HTF. I was a good boy and read up on some home theatre basics in the primer provided here but I have a question regarding convergence.

I have a Toshiba 42H82 rear projection digital TV. So far, I am happy with the picture, but I know I am only scratching the surface of what it can truly be (planning for an ISF calibration at some point in the future). A friend of mine (who posts here I believe) went into the Keohi website, pulled some technical specs for me and now I go into the system and do my own convergence via the crosshatches. My question is, should I or do I have to do a unique convergence for all forms of viewing or does the fact that I go in once and do a convergence cover the picture in whatever form I choose to view it? My gut says it doesn't. The Tosh has TW1, TW2, TW3, Full and Natural. I use TW1 and Full most often.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Your gut is right. All these modes require separate adjustment.

BTW, I'm moving this to Display Devices.

M.

Yes, that model requires seperate convergence for each aspect ratio. Here are some tips.

Do not touch convergence unless the set has been making a picture, preferably screen filling, for at least two hours. Never touch convergence of any kind unless the set is fully warmed up as above.

While the set is displaying a standard definition picture, enter service mode, do not touch anything other than what you know about convergence, and converge that memory. When finished, simply press the pic size button, then it will bring you to the next memory that needs to be tweaked. Continue to tweak each new memory until you are back to the one you started, then press 7, then shut the set off. Enter a 1080i signal, enter service, and tweak this convergence.

BruceVC

Grip
Thank you for your responses, guys. This is not only helping me (appreciate the extra details) but giving me more confidence in doing the work correctly.

Semi correct,

The newer models have scalers and thus only need to be converged once for EACH scan rate. So enter 480i/P, converge, then enter 1080i, and converge again. I can't remember for sure, but the latest model Toshiba sets (HDX82?) convergence may be completely global as they upconvert everything to 540P and display 1080i this way. It will be easy to tell by converging when entering a 480i signal, saving the results, then entering a 1080i signal and inspect convergence, you will know if your work is represented or if you need to converge seperately for 1080i.

BruceVC

Grip
To summarize between what Lawrence and Jim is saying, I do not need to do a convergence for each viewing aspect the Tosh has (mentioned in original post) as the 42H82 is "global" but I should see if a convergence is required by scan rate by entering a 480i/P signal, converge then enter a 1080i signal and converge again.

Here is the naive sounding part - how do I enter these different types of signals? Do I watch a normal program to do the 480i/P, converge, then for 1080i, watch a DVD, and converge?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks