Question about cd players and audio interconnects

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Dec 15, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

I'm trying to figure out whether I will be needing any analog audio interconnects. Correct me if I'm wrong but DVD and CD players these days only need to be connected by a digital coaxial or optical cable right?

I have an old cd changer (nothing high end) that does not support a digital connection should I think of upgrading? Or perhaps I should look into a SACD system? If so would I then need any audio interconnects?

The only place where I think I'll need any analog audio interconnect is my VCR and my current CD changer. But I will need to buy some if I want use DVD-A on the RP91 right?

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

(There is another thread on a very similar topic.)

For a CD or DVD player with a digital jack (optical or coaxial), that is all you need. Ironically, for an SACD player, you need analog connections for playing SACDs, but you can (and should) use digital for playing CDs, which they all also play.

For multichannel SACDs, you need 6 analog phono cables between the SACD player and the receiver. Older a/v receivers don't have the necessary inputs, but newer ones do.

For stereo-only SACD, you still need an analog connection, but all receivers can handle the analog stereo.

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade a CD player to another CD-only player. Any money I put into an audio player I would put into SACD. Or, possibly, DVD Audio. If I weren't ready to do that, I would just keep the CD player I had.

3. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

4. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

So for the RP91 I will need both the digital coax and 3 pairs of audio interconnects? Or do I need 2 and something else?

5. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    for the RP91 you will need a digital cable and 6 analog cables (or 3 pairs). sorry, i forget if the digital out i use is coax or optical, but you can find this out online.

Marc: i re-read my post and realized that it could be taken as an attack on you, which was not at all my goal. im just trying to emphasize that digital cables arent always the best way to hook stuff up.

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Are you describing the analog and digital coax outs on these units as requiring different cables?

If your RCA cables are true 75 Ohm cables (normally used for video and digital coax) they will also work just fine as analog audio ICs.

BruceD