What's new

Question about Casper LD versions (1 Viewer)

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
Hey folks--

I've checked IMDB and I'm not satisfied... thought I would ask the experts.

I'm well aware that the rare Casper DTS LD is considered one of -- if not THE -- finest sound mixes ever for home video in any format. But was there ever an AC3 disc in 5.1 sound? And if so, does anyone own it and can you tell me what the mix is like? Also, if the other THX-approved disc ISN'T 5.1, how is the pro-logic mix? Worth buying?

I like the movie a good bit, just want to get this question answered. Thanks a bundle.

Daniel L

Stunt Coordinator
Casper was never released in DD 5.1 in the U.S.

For a time frame, the first film Universal released in DD on LD was Dragonheart: The Signature Collection Box Set...

...It may also be known as the Screwjob Edition since this was the only way to pick the film up in DD, until the DVD arrived. But at least it was from an era when Universal knew how to do an SE.

Only two films we're every re-released specifically for DD 5.1 on LD. Jurassic Park and Apollo 13.

FYI, even though many people point out that the DTS DVD version of Jurassic Park sucked by comparison to its LD counterpart, the difference between the DD DVD & LD is just as wide.

Daniel L

Declan

Second Unit
Have the PAL LD of casper (which is pro-logic only, same as the original US LD). The sound off it is incredible for a pro-logic mix. It is the only movie I have in pro-logic where i can detect split rear effects when THX is engaged on my amp. (the bit where strech kicks the saddle it goes into the left rear).

Ed Vandeweerd

Stunt Coordinator
I have to Agree "Casper" DTS Laserdisc and "Jurassic Park" DTS both of which I own are in my view the Best Sound Mixes Ever released For Laserdisc. I am pleased tho have these as part of my collection

Ed

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Agree with Declan on Caspers Pro-Logic mix. I have both versions and while the dts version is far superior, the PL mix is wonderful too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks