What's new

Question about audio connection on HD-A1 (1 Viewer)

Joe_G

Second Unit
I have a question for those of you who have the HD-A1.

I have this player, but I have yet to open it up and try it out. My tv room is going under some re-construction to accomodate more room for a Toshiba 62MX195 DLP tv. I also have the Yamaha R-VX1600 on order which should be shipping any day.

When I do get around to hooking all of this up, how should I run the audio cables from the A1? The Yammi receiver I ordered has HDMI inputs. I was planning on running a HDMI cable from the player to the receiver and then another HDMI cable going out from the receiver to the tv. Will I be able to take advantage of DD+ this way, or will I have to run a HDMI cable out from the player to the tv for the video and then run audio cables from the multi-channel analog outputs on the player to the multi-channel inputs on the receiver?

I've read that the only ways of getting DD+ is either through HDMI or the multi-channel analog inputs/outputs on the player and receiver.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

TrueHD® is passable by HDMI or analog for 2-channel only (with the 1st gen Toshibas). DD+® and TrueHD (also by Dolby) are seperate codecs. DD+ is passable by HDMI or standard digital opt/toslink cables (or so Dolby's website will have you believe). As I understand it, DD+ is just regular DD that allows for 7 discreet channels, audio will still be lossy.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I believe DD+ on HD-DVD compresses at 640kbps, whereas DD on DVD maxes out at 448kbps.

DD+ is passable via HDMI, decoded into discrete 5.1 analog, or decoded / encoded into DTS via optical/coaxial digital cables.

I don't use HDMI, and I currently am using the discrete 5.1 connection method, although since my receiver handles DTS, I have used it, too.

- Steve

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
Im running 5.1 analog to my 8 year old Pioneer receiver with no ill effects. Just be sure you make sure that the analog 5.1 button for your receiver is properly activated. I was scratching my head for 10 minutes wondering why I got no surround or center sound till I hit my DVD button again to toggle to analog selection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks