Question about audio connection on HD-A1

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joe_G, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Joe_G

Joe_G Second Unit

I have a question for those of you who have the HD-A1.

I have this player, but I have yet to open it up and try it out. My tv room is going under some re-construction to accomodate more room for a Toshiba 62MX195 DLP tv. I also have the Yamaha R-VX1600 on order which should be shipping any day.

When I do get around to hooking all of this up, how should I run the audio cables from the A1? The Yammi receiver I ordered has HDMI inputs. I was planning on running a HDMI cable from the player to the receiver and then another HDMI cable going out from the receiver to the tv. Will I be able to take advantage of DD+ this way, or will I have to run a HDMI cable out from the player to the tv for the video and then run audio cables from the multi-channel analog outputs on the player to the multi-channel inputs on the receiver?

I've read that the only ways of getting DD+ is either through HDMI or the multi-channel analog inputs/outputs on the player and receiver.

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

TrueHD® is passable by HDMI or analog for 2-channel only (with the 1st gen Toshibas). DD+® and TrueHD (also by Dolby) are seperate codecs. DD+ is passable by HDMI or standard digital opt/toslink cables (or so Dolby's website will have you believe). As I understand it, DD+ is just regular DD that allows for 7 discreet channels, audio will still be lossy.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    I believe DD+ on HD-DVD compresses at 640kbps, whereas DD on DVD maxes out at 448kbps.

DD+ is passable via HDMI, decoded into discrete 5.1 analog, or decoded / encoded into DTS via optical/coaxial digital cables.

I don't use HDMI, and I currently am using the discrete 5.1 connection method, although since my receiver handles DTS, I have used it, too.

- Steve

4. Robert SW

Robert SW Auditioning

5. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Im running 5.1 analog to my 8 year old Pioneer receiver with no ill effects. Just be sure you make sure that the analog 5.1 button for your receiver is properly activated. I was scratching my head for 10 minutes wondering why I got no surround or center sound till I hit my DVD button again to toggle to analog selection.