What's new

Anyone have the HD-A2 and a Harman Kardon HDMI receiver? (1 Viewer)

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi
I had posted this question as part of another discussion but figured I start a new thread. I just picked up my new HD-A2 yesterday and hooked it up to my HK335 receiver through the TOS link. The receiver shows 'DTS' when it is connected through the optical cable.

It also shows DTS when my HD-A1 is connected to the same receiver through coax. (I can't remember if is showed Digital/DTS or just DTS...)

Anyhow those of you that have the Harman Kardon with HDMI inputs and the HD-A2 ... Do you need a separate connection for the audio through optical?? I am wondering about the HK receivers in particular. Not other receivers with HDMI.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
According the information freely available :D on Harmon Kardon's website, the AVR-645 and AVR-745 support digital bitstream and linear PCM audio over HDMI. Either receiver *should* handle decoded Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus multichannel output from the HD-A2. I'm sure a quick call to their support number would answer the question decisively.

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi

Tech support usually means stay on hold for 45 mins ...but I was very impressed with HK. I sent them an email and got a reply the same day.

Here is what they said...

"The sound may be better if you go from an AVR335 to a AVR645, but it
would be due to new features, more power and better EZSet EQ features.
There will not be any difference in sonic quality between Optical and
HDMI. Digital is digital, both signals are the same."

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Then they didn't understand your question. They're talking about bitstream audio, not linear PCM. Since the *player* must decode DD+ and TrueHD audio the question is: do their HDMI receivers support 5.1 channel LINEAR PCM AUDIO over HDMI?

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi
Thanks Doug. I have sent them another email for clarification. I appreciate your help. I would like to be sure before I spend over $1K on a new HK HDMI receiver. :)

dpippel

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I'm with you on that! :D Hopefully they'll have the answer you're looking for.

king

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arvi

Finally heard back from HK support. Here is what they say...

"I am very sorry but our receivers do not support multi-channel Linear PCM at this time."

That's just great!:angry: I thought Harman Kardon made some of the best receivers out there. What's the point of providing a HDMI output if you still have to connect a separate cable for audio. I thought the whole point of HDMI was a single cable connection...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks