What's new

Q on Aus. R4 disc & anamorphic (1 Viewer)

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I purchased a R4 2 disc Mummy Returns with DTS. I have a region free player (Sony 9000ES) from HK. With all R1 and R3 anamorphic DVDs, progressive scan light pops up. However, with R4 Mummy Returns, no light comes on. I believe that R4 is in PAL. Am I still getting the picture in anamorphic? Thanks.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
R4 is definitely PAL. I'd assume that disc is 16x9 but can't say for sure, and have no advice on what the lack of a light indicates. Perhaps someone else does.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, progressive scan has nothing to do with anamorphic

There is no official PAL progressive scan standard, so no player (except I think the Malata N996) supports progressive PAL

It is true to say that there is no real standard for PAL progressive as the DVD forum refused to go there for some reason, I suspect this will change soon. However there are several DVD players (beyound the Malata) from the main manufactures (Denon 2800, Arcam, Philips et al) that do perform PAL progressive, some ship as such other require software upgrades many that only require inserting a service disc that can be down loaded from the web to upgrade the firmware to enable PAL progressive.

Regards

Stephen

Will*M

Grip
There is indeed PAL Progressive. I have a Sillicon Images DVDO line doubler, and it's manual states that it is compatible with PAL. Also when I play my R2/4 disks, the progresive light on it lights up. hope that helps some.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
It is very hard for me to tell on Sony 9000ES and Panasonic 42" Plasma. I still have a hard time seeing the difference betwwen progressive scan and and built in line doubler. The picture on MUMMY RETURNS looks great so I guess I'll leave it at that. Besides, R4 has DTS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks