PVR/Jukebox PC, a few questions

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brian E, Dec 10, 2003.

1. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

Hey gang,

I asked this over on AVS, but never got any answers. Hopefully someone here can help. A few days ago I was given some pretty decent computer parts. As I already have a very good PC I was thinking of turning these into a HTPC of sorts.

First what I got...
    Shuttle SN41G2
    512MB PC2700 RAM
    WD 120GB HD (7,200/8MB cache)
    Athlon XP 2800+
    Sony DRU510A (DVD + - RW)

What I'd like to accomplish...
    Music "Jukebox" (using WMP9 or ?)
    PVR (can this work as well as a set top box?)
    Maybe casual game play
    What else????

Now in poking around I think what I need is a card like the Win-TV PVR-250 to accomplish this. Do I need anything else? Can the PVR-250 act as a capture card from a VCR to transfer home videos to DVD? I'm thinking I'll use Windows XP, is there a compelling reason to look at Linux? I have no projector or HDTV. I know most people who use a HTPC do & I may have one someday but not for at least 6 months. Is there anything I need to consider if I want to future proof a little so when the time for an HDTV comes I'll be ready?

I've found lots of great info searching around the forums, but I want to make sure I cover my bases & don't end up having to totally rework this thing after I get it setup. As far as general computer knowledge I'd say I'm at expert level. Specific to HTPC stuff my knowledge is pretty limited.

Anything I forgot?

Thanks in advance

2. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

Brian,

I recently upgraded my system to make it a HTPC. For PVR I use an application called SageTV. You can find lots of positive comments about it in AVS's Home Theater Computers section. In fact here's a thread on using a Shuttle as a PVR:

Shuttle PVR

And another:

Shuttle HTPC

You can buy SageTV plus the Hauppauge WIN-TV 250 for $165.

SageTV

SageTV works great. There are also other packages like Snapstream & myHTPC (which is free but is Linux based). The 250 capture card can also be used in transferring VHS and camcorder footage.

3. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

4. John_Bonner

John_Bonner Supporting Actor

5. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

If you are going to rip all your CDs with WMP9 be sure to turn off the DRM option, by default windows applies DRM to all the tracks you rip, which isn't a big deal until your harddrive messes up or you want to copy them all over to a different machine and discover the files won't work anymore.