What's new

Purpose of Bose Acoustimass Module? (1 Viewer)

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm just wondering why Bose makes you run all the satellites through their subwoofer. Does the module in some way change the sound of the satellites? What would happen if you ran the satellites directly off the receiver and used a better sub? I don't want a Bose system but I have to sell this crap sometimes and I'm just curious...

Scott

RobWil

Supporting Actor
By running the sattelites through the sub you're using the crossover on the sub to 'divide' the bass frequencies from the mid and high frequencies. The bass goes to the sub and the mid and highs go to the sattelites which are 'low frequency challenged' to put it in very general terms. The bass module probably has a pre-set crossover, say at 120 Hz or so, so every thing equal to and below that goes to the bass module and everything above goes to the sattelites.
Yes, you could run the sattelites off of the receiver and use the sub out on the receiver to the sub . This way you could use the receiver for setting the bass crossover IF the receiver you are using has this capability.
I'm not sure you'd gain much by keeping the Bose sattelites and switching to a better sub though cause you'd probably have to use the same crossover anyway, although you'd get better bass if you got a decent sub. But you'd still have very average sattelites.
Disclaimer: Ok, Ok......I should have said I have no experience with these actual speakers. I just ASSUMED they worked like normal sats and subs. Sheesh...you would have thought I would have learned from my military days not to assume anything :b Damn proprietary pieces of crap! :angry:

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The Bose satellites, considering their size, probably arn't capable of playing deep frequencies. If you hook them to a receiver you'll be feeding them more bass than they can handle and it could be damaging or sound distorted (Perhaps even if set to small). The satellites need a crossover or filter that eliminates bass frequencies from reaching the tiny drivers.

The Bose bass module is designed to play more upper bass than most subwoofers because it has to play frequencies a lot higher than your average 80hz.

I guess you could say that Bose uses a crossover frequency a lot higher than other companies when it comes to sub and satellites. So basically Bose designed their system as ONE in that they need eachother.

Just a guess, but if you upgrade the sub and use a receiver to power the Bose satellites you'll likely have a gap in the response ranging from 150-400hz.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Chris is right, the satellites aren't designed to be played without the bass module and you'll risk damaging them if you do. If you're looking to add bass to a Bose system you already own the best way is by adding a separate powered sub.

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I would have to agree with that, I own the older acoustimass 5 system, these were before the cubes went through the 40% shrink and lost all the mid-range response in the late 90's so they aren't too shabby. The module on it I wouldn't call a subwoofer, but more of a woofer. it's response around the high 100's. although it is still pretty good and quite invisible as it's very hard to tell it's working even though it is. if you have a bose acoustimass system I would reccomend getting a seperate powered sub to compliment the set instead of replacing the sub in the set. I use a KSW-15 that I found half off in some store, I love display models :D, that I use for it which at least gives off a very good impression of excellent frequency response.

I've since I've upgraded the hometheater to klipsch RF3-II's and SVS CSU subs I've put the bose system in the basement and use it as computer speakers. works pretty good too :D.

ChristopherBer

Stunt Coordinator
As a user of a Bose Acoustimass system specifically the 15 Series I. The purpose of connecting the satellites directly to the bass module because the crossover is built into the bass module. If you connect the satellites straight to the reciever like I did one time the reciever can shut off. After that I never did it again.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
The crossover in the sub is somewhere in the low 200s. The cubes don't really kick in until about 250hz.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the Acoustimass module regulates power to the cubes. I don't think they can handle a lot of power.

steven pm

Agent
BTW, just to clarify, the B ose "bass module" is just that. It is NOT a subwoofer! ANd the problem with that distinction is, with such a high crossover the BM is playing very directional bass signals froma single, localizable source. Real sub/sats put only the lower, nondirectional bass signals thru the sub, so that having just a single sub doesn't confuse/muddle the ears.

Chad_D

Auditioning
Just to reiterate what some have been saying: DO NOT PLUG THE SATS INTO YOUR RECEIVER!!! Not only does the bass-module handle the cross-over, but it also alters the impedance for the sats.

Chad

Scott_AH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the replies guys.

Man, you've gotta love the way Bose pass out the technical detail to educate their salespeople
I've had the rep come through a couple times and he can't seem to tell me a damn thing about these speakers. I don't think he really even knows. It seems that Bose relies heavily on impressive sounding phrases like "Video Stage 5" but they don't give any specifics to back it up. The funny thing is, all I have to do is spit out "direct reflect" or whatever else Bose puts in their brochure and my customers are ready to buy. I've completely given up on trying to convince them otherwise because they're already sold on the almighty Bose before they enter the store.

Scott

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
that's how bose sells their speakers nowadays. I do believe that when they first came out they were great speakers. mostly for those that wanted a fuller sound but didn't have the space for it. Now bose seems to have made their speakers worse and sells them solely off of their reputation.

rothers

Auditioning
Real Name
Ozzy Rotheram
Gentlemen,

I'm very sorry to admit that I am "one of those idiots who bought this crap"!

To be fair, I did buy it very much on the cheap in a PX in Afghansitan and its all they offered! However, I now need an amp to run it though. I know next to nothing about speakers and stuff and was looking at buying a Yamaha RXV361, which looks like it will do the job for what I need and is pretty cheap. However, I saw a review on it saying to be careful as it requires an active sub. Now, as I barely know what this means can some kind hearted fellow take pity on me and tell me if the module is compatible with this amp!

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks