What's new

PT53WX53 Problem (1 Viewer)

Yimin Wei

Auditioning
Just got my PT53WX53 about a week and a half ago from BestBuy. I was very impressed by the picture quality until I got my Toshiba progressive scan player. I found that the picture is kinda shaky with progressive scan input. It's especially noticeable with still image. This is an image from the THX Optimizer.

www dot duke dot edu ~yiminwei pt53wx53.gif

(sorry about the badly formatted url, the forum doesn't allow me to include this untill I have posted 15 messages)

I finally got BestBuy to replace my unit, but the second one has the same problem. :frowning:

I wonder is this typical? If not, how come I got two defective units in a row? Can anyone advise me what to do. I don't know if I have the courage to get BestBuy to send me a third one. Help!

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
have you tried setting the toshiba to interlaced output? thats the only type of output my dvd player has, and the panny does a wonderful job of deinterlacing and scaling to fit the screen.

ag.

Yimin Wei

Auditioning
Yes, I have tried the interlaced mode. It's almost perfect. The problem only occurs with progressive scan input.

Rajeev_s

Stunt Coordinator
Then its just a incompatibility problem. I think you could leave it interlaced and still get good PQ.

Yimin Wei

Auditioning
I can settle for the interlaced input but it's kinda odd that a HDTV ready set cannot handle progressive scan input. To make sure it's not my player's problem, I took my player to my friend's house and tested it on his Sony KP-51WS510. It looked fine without distorsion.

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 53wxd63 (same as yours but with HD tuner built in). I use a Sony Progressive scan DVD player and it looks wonderful. Try replacing your cables (never no, could have gotten a bad cable). Have you calibrated it? Make sure your convergence and every thing is set right. You may have just gotten a bad unit. I would try new cables and everything else before returning it. If the tv is bad, when you do get it replaced, don't let this turn you away from the Panasonic. I love mine. Also I'm not sure but, you may have a option to turn off "image shift". Mine does. Under menu/setup/other adj. I was unable to see your pic, but this may be what is going on.

Yimin Wei

Auditioning
I tried to turn off the image shift and it didn't help. When I tested my player in my friend's house, I used my cable. Therefore, I don't think it's the cable. Probably I should call Panasonic to send someone over to take a look.

Harold Southard

Stunt Coordinator
I agree call Panasonic. They will make it right. I don't think it is your dvd player if it worked fine on another tv. Best of luck.

Yimin Wei

Auditioning
I did try to hook up a different player. Same problem. But, the other player I tried is also a Toshiba, so I don't know if it's a Toshiba vs Panasonic problem or not.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I get the same thing with a Sony 725P player. For me, it's only apparent on still frames (FBI warnings mostly, but I'll notice a minimal amount of shakiness on certain DVD menus). Mind you, the jitters never show up during video playback.

I had to return my set 2 times for different issues, and I saw the same thing with all three.

I tried a Denon 910 with the set to see if it was an deinterlacer compatability issue with my player and this did tend to minimize the effect, but I don't think it's really worth fixing as the picture is fine with the Sony during movie playback.

I think it's an issue with the 53WX53's capability to display certain progressive signals. At the same time, I'm more than happy to let my player do the deinterlacing as I've never had a problem with movie playback, and the Panasonic's deinterlacer is most likely inferior to the chips in anything but the cheapest progressive DVD players.

RobbieF

Grip
Does anybody know if Panasonic's "Image Shift" actually shifts the entire image around every so often? If it does, I want to turn it off because it will always be moving my overscan amount around. Also, it seems the convergence might get messed up everytime it did it.

I have noticed that it will move the input labels when displayed on the screen (DVD, VCR1, etc...). This I like, and I will continue using image shift if this is all it does.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't noticed the image shift function moving the entire picture, only the banners.

Yimin Wei

Auditioning
A tech came over to test the TV. He didn't find anything wrong with the set. It displayed the singnal from the signal generator nicely. The tech said it's just a compatibility problem with my TV and my Toshiba player. Thanks to those who helped me with this issue. We can close this thread now.

nick_rh

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for sharing your problem...I have a PT47WX53, so I'll make sure to steer clear of any Toshibas if I upgrade to a 480p DVD player in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks