What's new

Psycho (1960) (1 Viewer)

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
By far one of the most disturbing movies of all time.

I really enjoy how Hitchcock begins the film by sucking you into what seems to be a pale caper flick with Marion taking off with the money and seeming to find someone who is as trapped as she was. The abrupt murder that follows, along with Perkins discovering the body is wonderfully done. Someone else has stated that Perkins seems incredibly nervous while he's trying to sink Marion's car, and I have to say that this is one my favorite parts, as we really begin to see what being Norman Bates might be really be like.

I have to admit, if they ever re-issue this DVD with a 5.1 track, I would really like to hear it as Herrmann's score would sound spectacular (although they *must* keep the original mono track as well). A nice anamorphic enhancement would greatly improve things as well.

The documentary on the DVD release is exceptionally well done, along with all the other extras. Since I haven't heard anything about a re-issue , I would definitely recommend this disc to anyone.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, HTF members, for all the Psycho talk. Interesting to hear all your thoughts on Hitch's #1 film (IMO).

Trivia .... What yet-to-be-famous TV actor pops up as a cop in the final reel of Psycho? (Put it on freeze-frame during his 5-second appearance....you'll recognize him).

Also .... Any of you have the outstanding book by Stephen Rebello, "Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho"? (Has a bright yellow cover.)

It's a very comprehensive look at the Master's masterpiece.

Don't you just love all the great dialogue in this film as well!!? .......

"...Well if the woman up there is Mrs. Bates, then who's that buried out in Green Lawn Cemetery?" -- Sheriff Chambers

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Whaddyamean 'Psycho (1960)'. That date is as superfluous as the England in 'London, England'. Yes there are two London's in the world but I think it's fair to say that if you just say 'London' then people know you're not referring to the place in Canada.
Similarly there is only ONE Psycho!;)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
ending to Hitchcock's other best-known psychological thriller, Vertigo, as being a bit abrupt. There, there's no mopping up, no offering of explanation or diagnosis.
Well there is the mop-up he was forced to add in other countries to explain that the bad guy got his.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Robert is correct! Ted "Ted Baxter" Knight is guarding the door of the room which holds the troubled Mr./Mrs. Bates at Psycho's end.

(Ted's MTM program is another series I'd love to have on DVD.)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I love Psycho! But are you sure you have the date right? Was there one before the awesome Anne Heche/Vince Vaughan thriller? :D
ARGH! Get off me! Stop hitting me! ARGH!
j/k
I haven't seen every Hitchcock film, but this would probably be #2, tied with North by Northwest and behind Vertigo.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Anyone liking the 1998 version BETTER than the original should exit the planet at once!! [Hitch is spinning in circles at the sheer audacity of the remake! Yikes!]

>> "12 cabins ... 12 vacancies."

Eve T

Supporting Actor
Yup I love this film!
My husband on the other hand doesn't. (He looks like a young Anthony Perkins) and sometimes I think the next time someone comes up and tells him he looks like that guy in that movie Psycho I think he may actually become psycho. I remember I got him mad one night when I said..hey I want to go to this one restaurant...I think you might like it. When he asked me what the name of it was...I replied :
"Perkins" :D :D
Anywayz, Alfred Hitchcock is one of my all time favorite directors. They just don't make em like they used to do they eh?

Josh_Hill

Screenwriter
Psycho is still awe-inspiring. I find that with each viewing it gets better and better. I have the DVD and its a great disc. The doc. is great.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
There's a reason why this film (42 years later) is still talked about so much and I don't know a single person who doesn't at least know about this film. In its day, it was shocking and probably the scariest movie of all time. Personally, I think Jaws took over that spot in 1975 but the amount of people who would no longer take showers was incredible. Hitch was a master of the unexpected. Here you get to know and start to love a character (Janet Leigh) and in the middle of the movie, she is stabbed to death! So we have the focus shift on an unlikely person (Anthony Perkins). Great stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks