What's new

PSX Game Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
GameStop seems to be clearing out PSXs because I just picked one up (preowned)... w/ Final Fantasy VII for $30 :eek: Heck, FF is worth $15 alone, so I think I got a pretty good deal :)

Anyways, barring Final Fantasy games (which, from playing other people's consoles... I already know are amazing) what are some other good PSX games to get? Region also does not matter to me as that will be fixed shortly after I receive it (there are way too many wacky Japanese PSX games for me not to) ;)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
When I owned a Playstation (one), I purchased a lot of games. None compared to one of my favorite games of all time:

"Castlevania: Symphony of the Night"

It's hard to find, and typically goes for around $30 on eBay and at EBgames (used, of course).

I regret selling it years ago.

paul h

Supporting Actor
I'd recommend these to keep you going ...

Einhander
Castlevania SOTN
Tobal 1 & 2
Poy Poy
Super Puzzle Fighter2 Turbo
Chrono Cross
Vagrant Story
Ape Escape
Colony Wars
Devil Dice
Wipeout games
Bust a Groove
Rayman2
Xenogears
Driver
Syphon Filter
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
GPolice
Gran Turismo

Dean DeMass

Screenwriter
Rob,

If you are interested in a Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, I have a mint copy I am selling for $20 shipped.

-Dean-

JamieD

Supporting Actor
The Mega Man line of games (X4 onwards) are all great games if you're a Mega Man nut, like myself.

Grandia and Lunar. Parappa the Rapper. Hm. Oh! The Deception games from Tecmo are also fun, in a strange, sadistic way.. :)

PerryD

Supporting Actor
My favorite PS1 games are the Namco Guncon games: Time Crisis, and the Point Blank games. I still enjoy the platform games on the system alot too, namely the Crash and Spyro games and Ape Escape.

It's also the best system in regards to emulated 80's arcade games, most not ported yet to the new systems like Midway Collection 2 (Moon Patrol, Burgertime, Spy Hunter, Joust 2, Blaster, and Splat) and Arcade Party Pack (Klax, Rampage, Smash TV, Super Sprint, 720, and Toobin). I have been meaning to pick the Konami Arcade Classics disc sometime (Time Pilot, Scramble, Super Cobra, Pooyan, Yie Ar Kung Fu, Gyruss...). There was also rumors of several Capcom collections, but I haven't seen them.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The Mega Man line of games (X4 onwards) are all great games if you're a Mega Man nut, like myself
I suggest getting 4 and then trying to find 1-3 on SNES and leaving it at that. I'm a HUGE MMX fan, and 1-4 are the only ones worth buying (but of course, I have all 6).

Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy Chronicles (Chrono Trigger + FF4)
Brave Fencer Musashi
Lunar 1 and 2
Metal Gear Solid (and VR Missions)
Resident Evil games
Parasite Eve
Tekken 1-3
Tomb Raider 1 and 2

Woo Jae

Screenwriter
Alundra
Arc the Lad Collection
Star Ocean 2
Final Fantasy Tactics
Saiyuki: the Journey West
Silent Hill (Scared my pants off)
Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo (This is also out on GBA, so check it out...)
Gran Turismo 2 or 1 (both are GH, and you can prolly get it used for even cheaper.)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
There was also rumors of several Capcom collections, but I haven't seen them.
No rumours needed. They were released in Japan & Europe. In Japan, the disks were individual releases for the PSX & Saturn, and in Europe there was a "one off" collection of the four Capcom Generations disks for the PSX. I've got the UK PAL PSX release, and it's worth a grab if you can play PAL. 1942 etc, Ghost'n'Goblins, Commandoes & a whole bunch more. It's a really good collection that would probably have had a US release if politics hadn't gotten in the way (allegedly!).

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
I have to second Alundra, one of my all time favorite games for the PSX. I'm going to pick up Final Fantasy Origins this month when its released, its a revamped version of FF1 and FF2. Here is a screen shot:

Great way to either see how FF became to be or for some of us more seasoned gamers, revisit the fond memories of hours on hours of great RPG action. A must buy for any PSX gamer.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I picked up a couple discs to start me off...
GTA
GTA2
Final Fantasy Tactics
The Italian Job
Castlevania: SotN (thank to Mr. Demass!)

I am also going to pick up some RPGs online (Wild Arms, Chrono Cross, the rest of the FFs).

Keep the recs coming though ;)

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Agreement on Final Fantasy Chronicles, very much better ports than FF anthology. Agree again on a recommendation for Lunar. Adding a recommendation for Dragon Warrior VII (although it looks better on PS2).

Kenneth Cummings

Supporting Actor
Good choice on Final Fantasy Tacatics, it a fun game that the sequel (doesn't follow the story, much like the other Final Fantasy) is coming out soon on the GBA. :D Also, Brave Fencer Musashi is a good choice to get. It a rpg from Square, but it has humor and a Zelda like gameplay, but is very fun, but hard as well. I hate Steamwoods.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I tried to pick up Final Fantasy Origins today... but no one had it. I'll be sure to get it tomorrow (I still have some TRU GCs to burn ;) )

Chronicles doesn't seem to be in-stock ANYWHERE :confused:

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Don't buy any Megaman after X4 unless you want your image of the series to be severely tarnished.

Some of my favorites:

Thunder Force V: one of the few polygonal side scrolling shooters to retain the intensity and ferocity of the sprite based games. Blows away Einhander, and I'd take it over R type delta too.

G Darius: innovative shooter with good graphics and a lot of replay value

Metal Slug X: a great Metal Slug game considering the hardware.

Suikoden 1 and 2, Klonoa: expensive, but worth every penny

Silhuette Mirage: few games besides the Saturn version of said game match up to this awesome side scroller

Front Mission 3: strategy done right

Silent Bomber: cool action game, a bit of Metal gear solid, a bit of bomberman, a bit of contra, good luck tracking it down though.

Many of the games already recommended are excellent too. There also might be some fun to be had with Tomba 1 and 2, they seemed pretty deep but I never felt like messing with them.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
There also might be some fun to be had with Tomba 1 and 2, they seemed pretty deep but I never felt like messing with them.
Two of my favourite PSX games, and in fact, two of my favourite platformers of recent years - they add a whole level of RPG-lite fun to the genre through the different quests you have to complete throughout the game without being bogged down in stats/random battles.

Highly reccommended! The first is 2D, but the second was all 3D, but with the action still happening in 2D planes - it worked wonderfully.

Deadfish Design

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Tait
Originally Posted by Morgan Jolley

I suggest getting 4 and then trying to find 1-3 on SNES and leaving it at that. I'm a HUGE MMX fan, and 1-4 are the only ones worth buying (but of course, I have all 6).

Chrono Cross
Final Fantasy Chronicles (Chrono Trigger + FF4)
Brave Fencer Musashi
Lunar 1 and 2
Metal Gear Solid (and VR Missions)
Resident Evil games
Parasite Eve
Tekken 1-3
Tomb Raider 1 and 2

Definitely recommend parasite eve I and II. Brilliant Squaresoft horror creations.

I'm having a blast atm on those, Pandamonium! and Vagrant Story.

Also a MUST is the crash bandicoot series. Just plain old platformer fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks