What's new

PS2 REMOVED from RPTV (1 Viewer)

David.N

Agent
I would say that I tried to evenly mix TV, DVD and PS2: therefore, I would expect even wear on the CRTs. I have thought about leaving it on to add more wear to the CRTs but haven't tried it yet. I have had Vice City since it was released. 4 months ago??? I played the game 2 or 3 times a week at about 1.5 hours a pop. My DVD viewing is about one or two flicks a week. All my primetime TV is on the RPTV which is about 4 nights a week, for 2-2.5 hours. So the PS2 had much less use. That's why I didn't think it would give me any burn. It is very faint, I caught it about as early as possible. Any less, and there would be no detectible burn.:frowning:

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Leaving the set on during the day regularly will wear all the phosphors more quickly. So you would need to recalibrate brightness/contrast more often with Avia or a similar disc.

However, I'm not sure if this is a great idea. You may be reducing the life of the TV substantially.

If gaming a few hours a week burns your set, watching 2.35:1 movies a few hours a week will also burn the set.

Why don't I see HTF members advocating that we stop watching 2.35:1 movies? I'm not supporting screen burn, it just seems we have double standards. I do watch closely for videogame burn. If you've caught it so early that you can't even see it when watching movies, but only when putting up a solid color on the whole screen, I wouldn't consider the set truly damaged yet. Just get the thing off your TV and consider yourself lucky. I'll still be gaming on my set for the forseeable future.

The horrible new opaque white Sci-Fi channel logo is sure to burn even faster than typical videogame displays.

There have been reported instances of Tivo menus and even on-screen guide data (from cable or satellite settop box) causing burn-in. Not sure of the display settings, though.

John Royster

Screenwriter
I would say that I tried to evenly mix TV, DVD and PS2: therefore, I would expect even wear on the CRTs. I have thought about leaving it on to add more wear to the CRTs but haven't tried it yet. I have had Vice City since it was released. 4 months ago??? I played the game 2 or 3 times a week at about 1.5 hours a pop. My DVD viewing is about one or two flicks a week. All my primetime TV is on the RPTV which is about 4 nights a week, for 2-2.5 hours. So the PS2 had much less use. That's why I didn't think it would give me any burn. It is very faint, I caught it about as early as possible. Any less, and there would be no detectible burn.
David, can you pop up 50 IRE red screens from AVIA? Do the same with green and blue. You might be able to see it even more, but as others have said if it is indeed very faint it might "even out" over time.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Why don't I see HTF members advocating that we stop watching 2.35:1 movies? I'm not supporting screen burn, it just seems we have double standards.
If watching 2.35:1 movies causes uneven phosphor wear which is apparent while watching

Christopher~O

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone else play Vice City without the HUD? This removes almost all static images from the screen. The compass may be something to consider shutting down too...

Cheers,
Chris

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
FWIW, I've definitely read of one or two WS RPTV owners noticing burn-in from 2.35:1 movies. IIRC, at least one of them did use AVIA or the like to set up his TV, but like Lamarcus and a few others experienced burn-in anyway. Obviously, there are various factors at play here, including whether the "proper setup" was truly proper at all.

Also, in some of these cases, the TV owner seemed aware enough to catch the burn-in during the early stages, so all is not necessarily lost.

I agree that we simply have to be diligent about checking for early signs of burn-in and doing what we can to prevent it. And no, I'm not suggesting for everyone to start stretching their 4x3 content. :wink: I will continue to watch everything in OAR on my RPTV and take the usual precautions. If I start seeing burn-in from 4x3 (or 2.35:1) content, well, I'll cross that bridge if and when I get there. :p)

And no, I don't use the TV for video games, so that's one less worry for me...

_Man_

PS: This whole burn-in thing is one more reason NOT to spend quite so much $$$ on an RPTV. Maybe if I get a bad case of burn-in too soon, I'll just have to buy a cheaper/smaller Panny for even less to hold me off til the burn-in-free technology trickles down to my budget level. :D

david_b_m

Agent
I can't count the number of times I've come home to find that my wife has "paused" a dish network show and left it sitting for 45 or 90 minutes with that little "pause" icon sitting right on the edge of the screen. I try to explain the whole "burn-in" thing but to no avail.

Solution: burn-in the Samsung RPTV and then make her feel guilty enough to justify purchasing a quality front projector that won't have the same problem.

Everybody wins.

Well, I do anyway.

Anthony.Lin

Stunt Coordinator
Solution: Play Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball. First game I've seen where the majority of the gameplay has NOTHING that can cause burn-in. (no score, no static images, camera angles shift on every hit) ;)

Anyways, I haven't noticed burn-in yet, but I'll check a bit more. I know I've played Halo for at least 20 hours over the past month, no sign of burn-in, and I watch a lot of 2.35:1 movies, and the only thing I mix that up with is XBox and possibly the occassional 16:9 movie (Pixar films).

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
David,

Did you have your set ISF calibrated? That might have something to do with it. "Levels" of contrast and brightness can vary widely between brands. Once you are properly calibrated to the right temperature and such you are at a reference level. Calibration done by an ISF tech with his gear is a lot more precise than doing it by eye with a test disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks