PS2 REMOVED from RPTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David.N, Feb 5, 2003.

1. David.N

David.N Agent

I have had my 55" HDTV for alittle over a year. Despite warnings included with the TV and Video game I have been gaming on my main system. I have had the brightness and contrast levels at about 33% and try to mix movies, TV and gaming to avoid stationary images that may cause burn-in. I periodically check for burn-in and was fine until recently. [​IMG] I just noticed the faintest burn-in from "health meters" on a particular game. I have to be viewing bright screen with no images and know where to look as well as squint a bit to see the burn. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT gaming on RPTV even if you think you are being careful.

2. Justin H

Justin H Stunt Coordinator

...bad news. I routinely PS2 on my 47". I guess I'll have to be that much more careful b/c she's all I've got to play on right now. About how much gaming do you do on your TV? marathon sessions? etc...

3. David.N

David.N Agent

No significant marathon sessions. Mostly one to one and a half hours at a time. The questionable game is GTA Vice City. Even though you may not play the game Continuously for many hours at a time it has a cumulative effect. Each time you play builds more burn on the previous session. GTA is not a game that can be finished rapidly. It takes many sessions, I think this is the type of game that is most detrimental.

4. Shahid

Shahid Extra

Hey thanks for the warning - I've been going back and forth between RPTV and FPTV and I KNOW my kids will be attaching a gaming system to whatever I get - so I guess I'll go with an FPTV system...

5. mike_frontier

mike_frontier Supporting Actor

wOw~ So even with bothh contrast and brightness levels really low you still get burn-in images. That really sucks man!

I have had my tv for about 3 weeks now and debating to take it back to go with an FP. I have not yet to play my PS2 on my RPTV,,, but now hearing this for a fact can be scary to play on a RPTV what-ever the color settings are at any LEVEL. Thanks for the input.

Now gotta make the wife understand that FPTV is the way to go [​IMG]

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I merged the two threads you had going on this subject.

I think you did the right thing. I really do not trust any gaming machine when coupled with a CRT device no matter what they say. There just are no guarantees against burn-in. Little wonder the manufacturers do not cover it.

7. david_b_m

david_b_m Agent

Newbie question here, but why do RPTVs burn-in and FPTVs not?

8. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

david:

CRT based FPTV do. A lot of (affordable) FP sets these days are LCD or DLP based though, which can't be burned in (they both use bright backlights as opposed to iluminating the physical pictre element like Plasma and CRTs do.)

9. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

How do LCD RPTVs add color to the image. I know that DLP uses a color wheel which has some problems of it's own. Do LCD RPTVs use 3 chips and 3 filters?

10. Aaron F

Aaron F Auditioning

Could I have some model #'s of FP sets?

Are we talking projectors here?

11. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW

12. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm glad this thread got started.

13. Justin H

Here's a burn-in question. Is the sole contributing factor having a static image on the screen, period, or is it having a static image on the screen in relation to the amount of moving images?

A hypothetical: If I play GTA Vice City for a total of 24 hours in one month and use the TV for nothing else will I incur more burn-in than if I play the same 24 hours of the game but also incorporate 24 hours of full screen moving images during the same time period?

I was thinking about this last night b/c I have indeed been playing Vice City like a fiend as of late and thought perhaps I can offset all the gaming by leaving the TV on during the day. Is this only a false hope?

14. JoshuaR

JoshuaR Agent

I know that a FP DLP monitor was mentioned as to not have burn-in contributed toward it, but what about a RP DLP screen? The Samsung 507W is the main one in question here, could burn-in be a problem with this set using PS2?

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    DLP and LCD do not suffer from burn-in, no matter if you are talking about front projection or rear projection. It is CRT and Plasma that suffer from this phenomenon. Don't think in terms of FPTV or RPTV.

16. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

This is a really tough question.

I use a Tivo on my RPTV, and have for about 2 years. I was always scared of burn in from the tivo menus and such, but to date I have not seen any trace. I had my set ISF calibrated, so it's not on torch or anything.

I really wonder how a health bar displayed cumulatively for a few hours compares to the few seconds (but displayed many times an evening over two years) that my Tivo menus are displayed.

17. Justin H

Well that's the first bit of good news we've had here Max. Thanks for that.

But what about LaMarcus' situation? I believe his burn-in was caused from a menu system he used frequently, similar to your case. I suppose there are many contributing factors like menu color, brightness, frequency, maybe even the type of CRT. Thankfully the menu system for my Hughes DirecTV receiver has a translucency setting that makes it very faintly visible. Since I read LaMarcus' thread I've had it set as translucent as possible.

I also second Max's question. How can 2 years of repeated use of a Tivo menu system not cause burn in if playing through the course of a video game can?

David.N, maybe you could elaborate a little on how long this game was on your screen. Vice City is a pretty long game. Did you play it for two weeks? Six Months? A year? If we could get a rough figure of how long that health meter was on your screen maybe we could come up with some general guidelines for burn-in.

**Maybe we could yell out for Michael TLV or Gregg to stop by. I think we could use an expert opinion in this thread.

18. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

As far as i understand it burn in is caused by the ratio of static image to non static images. So playing GTA for 24 hours in one month or in one day will cause the same ammount of burn in as long as the tv is used the same ammount.

its kinda like having 3 favorite markers, if your always drawing those little eharts with your red one (ie health meter) and you arent using the others as much you will get burn in cause your red will wear out. also if you keep drawing on the same pad of paper eventually that red will seep through to the bottom pages.
    this isn't the ebst analogy but its all i could come up with [​IMG]

19. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Here's my thinking; feel free to confuse me with facts, anyone:

Burn-in results from uneven phosphor wear.

So, if you watch only GTA Vice City, even if it's in short doses, you are burning the phosphors unevenly.

However, if you mix in some other viewing, you'll be wearing out the phosphors more evenly. So, I'd think that leaving the TV on during the day might be a good idea, as long as you don't burn in a network logo!

Now, let's talk about the brain burn-in from playing GTA Vice City.... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Jan

20. Justin H

The brain burn-in is unavoidable, traumatic and occurs at an alarmingly fast pace.

OK, good, so as long as we are not all mistaken burn-in can be avoided (or at least treated to an extent) by trying to even out the viewing material.

Since Pop is still paying the old electric bill [​IMG] I plan to leave a logo free station on throughout the day for the duration that the game remains in heavy rotation. If I can come up with a 2:1 or 3:1 moving image to health meter ratio perhaps I can significantly decrease my chances of burn-in.