What's new

PS2 or XBOX? Whicj one is better and what are the main differences? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have a PS2 right now and really enjoy it. I almost bought an XBOX the other day but then changed my mind. Is the XBOX better than the PS2? I have a pretty nice home theater setup with a 64 inch 16x9 HDTV and 7.1 Marantz Receiver. I want to make the most of my game playing experience and it seems that most people think that the games on the XBOX are a little better than the ones on the PS2. Mainly because the XBOX versions are progressive scan and the actual gameplay itself is in Dolby Digital. Is that true? Please give me your opinions. I don't want to spend another $199 if there is not much of a difference.

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Mainly because the XBOX versions are progressive scan and the actual gameplay itself is in Dolby Digital. Is that true?

Yes, this is mainly why. Xbox supports 480p, 720p, and 1080i, as well as 5.1 digital sound. Some PS2 games support 480p (SOCOM being first to mind), but almost all Xbox games are high definition. The other big reason to get an Xbox are some of the exclusive titles: Halo, DOA3, JSRF, Splinter Cell, Knights of Old Republic (eventually), Panzer Dragoon (eventually.) I would say that for $200, the new Xbox package with GT2002 and JSRF with the S controller is well worth it just to play the exclusive titles.

I have both systems and enjoy them both equally. Xbox has a better picture/sound than PS2, but the variety of PS2 games obviously helps make up for the slightly lower quality video/sound (and video/audio isn't a huge difference.) Basically, I buy any dual system titles I want on Xbox and then pick up "must have" titles for the specific console that has them.

RudyN

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rudy Nunez
I have both along with a Gamecube and my Xbox gets the most playing time of the 3. If a game is out for all 3 systems, I usually pick up the Xbox version since it normally looks/sounds better. You won't make a mistake in picking one up. Especially now when it includes 2 games and the S controller. I've never used the S controller and I have 2 original controllers. I find them quite comfortable as do my friends/family so there has been no need for me to pick one up. If you buy the Xbox, make sure you pick up Halo also.

GlenHaag

Supporting Actor
I have all three and I've found good reasons to have them all. There will be exclusive titles on each of them that will make each of them worth the price that you paid.
Honestly, I split up my gaming time more than I ever thought I would have been able to. Although, once a new game comes out... I tend to ignore the other consoles again for a while.
The one thing I do know is that the Wavebird is the best controller ever. :)
Glen

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Joseph, the audio and video is not the only way I want to justify buying an XBOX for. Of course it is huge though, especially picture quality. But gameplay is also very important. I heard that the processing on the XBOX is alot faster than the PS2, that the load times are not as long, and that it has an easier time handling complex games with alot of moving objects.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Ahhh...another great console debate. I always answer it the same way.

Which console is better? Whichever one has the games you want to play!
Every console has exclusive games to it, that is why I bought all consoles. I know that eventually one console will have a game that I can absolutly not live without that no other console will get(Halo and DOA3 on Xbox, Twisted Metal and Metal Gear(well, not anymore)on PS2, Mario, Zelda, and Metroid on Gamecube)
It all boils down to games! Now as for which console do I play more of, usually the Xbox because of progressive scan and 5.1 sound. It all depends on what features I deem more important to my gameplay experience. For instance, I am getting the PS2 version of Tony Hawk 4, as it is online. but the Xbox version is 720p and DD5.1, with custom soundtracks. To me, the online play is more important.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I've finally decided on an XBox, hopefully i'll be in tommorow to pick one up. Couple of questions, should I still pick up Halo? It is a year on now. Believe it or not i've never seen this game in action. The XBox over here is currently selling with Project Gotham Racing and RalliSport Challenge so its a pretty sweet deal for an extra $50 (Australian) I also plan on getting an extra controller, should I go with the Standard XBox controller or get the S Controller?

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
should you get halo? Do I really need to answer that? That is kind of like asking "should I breath oxygen in order to live"

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Well I definately plan on keeping my PS2 due to the exclusive games on it. I am just trying to decide whether it is worth the extra money to buy an XBOX. I guess what I am looking for is the better picture and sound quality. It almost semms to me that we the exact same game that actual gameplay on the 2 systems is almost identical. I was trying Madden 2003 on the XBOX last night and found that the gameplay was pretty much the same as it is on my PS2 but as far as the picture and sound go I could not tell a difference due to I was playing it at a store that had a 20 inch 4x3 tv and no 5.1 setup. Have any of you guys done any comparisons on your systems between the 2 consles with the exact same title? I see that most people buy the XBOX version when a title comes out on both consoles, unless,like in your case Sean, there is on line capability on one and not the other. Me myself don't really care too much about online gameplay right now.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
Of all the cross platform games, the Xbox version is USUALLY, not always, the version I prefer. Usually there are little things in there, like custom soundtracks, that are not on other versions. Mostly I pick the Xbox versions for the progressive scan and 5.1

And again, buy this console if only for HALO! It is that good! And Halo 2, and Doom III are coming next year.

Andre F

Screenwriter
I just recently got an Xbox and own both a PS2 and Gamecube. The one big comment I have on the Xbox is the audio. I can't believe the difference it makes while playing games. Of course, the real reason to get a system is for the games but I can't get but get sucked into games when the action is coming from all around me!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Sean, so do you think I will see a noticeable difference in picture quality with the XBOX while playing progressive scan video games? And Halo is that good huh. Maybe it will go on sale soon, since Halo 2 is coming out.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
And Halo is that good huh.
Yep, I purchased my XBox on Friday. I'm having so much fun with Halo, I had never seen it in action but I had a big grin on my face for about an hour. I love 5.1 gaming :). I love Co-op mode as well.
What are some other must "gets" for the XBox?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks