What's new

Prove the Circuit City guy right...about DirecTV (1 Viewer)

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
I was at CC today looking at DirecTV receives and strted talking to one of the salesmen. I had mentioned the NFL package, and he told me that they would bill you over 4 months, at $45 each month (which I had already read). However, what I did not know, according to him, is that you do not have to sign up for the basic package, that all you pay is the $45 a month and you get all the chanels (even premium...HBO, Starz, etc.)

Can anyone out there substantiate his claim. I was under the impression that the NFL package was an add-on...that you had to at least subscribe to the Total Choice package($31.99).

Steve Owen

Second Unit
I believe he's wrong. You CAN get NFL Sunday Ticket without getting anything else (they don't advertise it... you have to ask). But if you do that, you certainly don't get all of the other channels.

-Steve

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
If memory serves, I believe there WAS a DirecTV new customer promotion late last summer where if you signed up for NFL Sunday Ticket (4 payments at $39.95/month), you would get the Total Choice Premium package at no extra cost for 4 months. Perhaps, they are planning to run a similar promotion this summer, but I kind of doubt it.

Cary

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
Cary,

This sounds like what he was talking about. However, he said that it would include ALL the premium channels also.

I guess my best bet would be calling DirecTV and asking them. I'll keep you guys posted.

Also, while I'm on the DirecTV subject, has anyone used the Blockbuster promotion ($29.99 for all equipment, one room install, and 52 movie rentals) and if so, did it work out ok? What type of box do they provide...does it have optical/S-vid outputs (I can't find any info on this)?

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Tommy,
I got the Blockbuster install a year or so ago and it worked out just fine. It's basically a Hughes unit and dish, which are actually very good products. The installer takes up to a week to show up, but mine was done in 2 days flat. He ran wire to wherever I wanted it and even drilled through the brick in my duplex to put it where I have my TV.
As far as the unit, it doesn't have Dolby Digital ability. It does have composite and S-Video, but that's it. The GUI, however, is really good. Since BBster is my biggest competitor, it killed me to do this but it was too good to pass up. You can imagine why I don't use the rentals :) Besides: you can always upgrade the components later and use the install wiring. That's what I did about 6 months down the road when I added a Sony reciever to the mix and moved the Hughes to a bedroom (although I'm not convinced, after installing the Sony, that it's any better than the Hughes!).
Good Luck,
Matt

TommyB

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,
Thanks for the info...sounds like is the way I'll go. Another thing, from what I've read, in order to receive HDTV signals, you need the oval (24x18) dish. I understand that if I tell them I want the PARA TODOS package, that they will supply the oval dish at no extra cost...then when I sign up for the actual service, I can just get the basic package (not the Spanish one)...has anyone successfully done this?
Also, if I just get the one room install, and later down the road I get another box (hopefully HDTV :) ) will I be able to simply run a line from the dish to the bedroom and use the old box there, or do I need to purchase additional equipment?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks