What's new

Properly connecting computer and TV via RCA (1 Viewer)

ZZJE123

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
I have a question about getting a true surround sound signal into my receiver. I currently am using an older Panasonic SA-HT67 reciver, some Dayton Audio and Boston Acoustic speakers. My general setup regarding the computer input is using an external, Creative sound card with a 3.5mm jack to two rca converter. I then have my xbox plugged into my tv (an older Sharp tube TV), including the audio cables in which the sound from the xbox goes into the TV through an RCA connection, then through the TV's audio output (also RCA) into the receiver (which is also RCA). I then thought that this setup was giving me an actual surround sound signal. One day I was fooling around with some multitracks on my computer and tried panning some of the tracks into a 5.1 setup. Through this, and some research afterwards, I found out that a 5.1 signal cannot be sent through a single 3.5mm jack. I did some research on how I could go about getting an external sound card to plug my computer into the receiver. However, all the sound cards either use a digital audio cable, or three 3.5mm outputs. My receiver does not have a digital audio input OR three 3.5mm inputs, only dual RCA inputs, and thus, none of these audio cards would be compatible with the receiver. The only other option I was able to come up with is using an HDMI to RCA converter, some extensions, and plugging that into the receiver. However, my question regarding this is: would using an HDMI to RCA converter send a 5.1 signal to my receiver, assuming the operating system and software are able to do so? Lastly, after finding all of this out, I have become concerned that the setup regarding my TV isn't sending a 5.1 signal either, and that I just psychologically think it is. Does sending audio through RCA the way I do send a 5.1 signal, or am I just "believing" it is? I found it hard to word this the way I wanted to, but this is the best I can do. Any help is appreciated!! :)

ZZJE123

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
schan1269 said:
5.1 only works via... 6 channel analog optical(digital coax or toslink) HDMI So, you are getting DPL treatment of 2.0.
Does that mean that my receiver is in capable of receiving a 5.1 signal from an external sound source? Since it ONLY has rca inputs.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Does that mean that my receiver is in capable of receiving a 5.1 signal from an external sound source? Since it ONLY has rca inputs.
I assume you meant incapable, and yes, that's correct; your receiver is most likely a stereo receiver. For a brief period some receivers had analog 5.1 connections using RCA, but if yo uonly have a pit of connections it's probably 2 different channels of stereo.

ZZJE123

Auditioning
Real Name
Zach
Al.Anderson said:
I assume you meant incapable, and yes, that's correct; your receiver is most likely a stereo receiver. For a brief period some receivers had analog 5.1 connections using RCA, but if yo uonly have a pit of connections it's probably 2 different channels of stereo.
A stereo receiver that outputs to 5.1 speakers? That kind of seems pointless to me. Thankfully, though, the receiver was free, for me. I guess this means I would need to buy a new receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks