What's new

proper care for home DLP? (1 Viewer)

Hey folks, apologies if I missed this in a FAQ (feel free to redirect me).

Proud new owner of a 4805, my first projector. The manual from InFocus is pretty sparse on "care" instructions, I guess because most consumers will just treat the device as an appliance. I wanna hear the straight scoop from those experienced in home projection though. I'm willing to inconvenience myself a little for the sake of bulb life and projector care.

So after how many hours of (low power) usage should one stop and give this thing a break?

How long should one wait after a proper powerdown to use the thing again?

I'm just curious. September 21st is coming, and that week I forsee a great deal of Star Wars viewing and a lot of my friends want a Lord Of The Rings marathon as well. But I wanna do right by my new toy.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice!

:)

SimiA

Second Unit
You shouldn't have to give it a "break" as you call it.
Just use and enjoy your toy.
You don't have to wait after a powerdown. If you want to use it 5 minutes later, do so.
Have your friends over, tell them to bring the beer and popcorn!!:D
Vb

stephen la

Stunt Coordinator
to save on bulb life,
be careful of how often you turn your projector on.
starting up the projector takes more of a toll on bulb life
than running it.

I read here everytime you start up your projecter, its the same bulb drain as running it for 10 hours straight.

some people on here with various projectors have had bulbs die after only 200 - 300 hours, when it should of lasted 2,000 or 3,000 hours.

when they say the bulb has a life of 3000 hours.
it was tested at 10 hour intervals..you'll get less hours of use if you turn the bulb on and off for shorter than 10 hour intervals

I dont have a projector yet but I think this news is really important for anyone that owns a projector.

there is also an infocus 4805 faq, (on their websight, I think) It says it was designed to be powered up without waiting for a cool down..

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member

(speaking from what I know of the X1 here, the 4805 is very similiar in many respects)

Not quite true. If you do a soft powerdown (where the fan is still running), then true. The fan is cooling the bulb down. I think it's 20 seconds with the fan on.

But if you hard-power it off with the switch on the unit, you want to wait approx. 5 (I think?) minutes before powering it back on (the bulb is still very hot when it tries to strike the lamp). You can try to immediately power it back on after switching it off, but it will probably get very grouchy with you and the little red light will start flashing :D

jeckill

Auditioning
Real Name
Hunter
DLP rear-projection televisions are becoming a very popular option for those that want a large screen projection television, without all the bulkiness. However, one of the drawbacks of a DLP television is that the Projection Lamp needs to be periodically replaced.

http://www.caringuk.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks